Thread: My first finished Digital Map

Guild Journeyer

Map My first finished Digital Map

Well i decided to stop waiting for my grand massive world map to be done and decided to post my first draft that i did of the "Northern" continent to test things for the world map. Its small, about the size of Australia. and the north pole is just off the coast of the small island in the "Sea of Pearls", my world Tu'lorain is a convex discworld, thus it gets warmer as your travel away from the Sea of Pearls in a circular motion. Thus the warmest part of the map is Shilhon Forest. (try putting a compass rose on a discworld map). Anyways there was still lots to do but its "good enough".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	7848  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is pretty good for a first go. Couple of things tho:
    1. Not sure about the rivers flowing from an inland ocean to a lake to an outer ocean...might be a break or continental divide somewhere so that the rivers only flow in or out.
    2. With the color of the land, a lighter and tealer blue might look better in the ocean.
    3. Forests look great so don't mess with those
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along nicely so far.

I think my biggest "issues" with it are (not counting the aquatic anomalies already mentioned) that the text is a bit difficult to read in spots, and I wish it was at a higher resolution.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This is coming along nicely so far.

I think my biggest "issues" with it are (not counting the aquatic anomalies already mentioned) that the text is a bit difficult to read in spots, and I wish it was at a higher resolution.
    What he says. I would especially like to see a higher resolution version.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

Here is a link (i remembered i have this posted on the CBG) to a old draft of the world map that i was using during early world building. It is in higher resolution. However it only shows Geographic regions, and Region/Kingdom Names. Some of which are just place holders. (Any Apologies to using the name "Nippon" for my japan influenced area as a place holder. It will be changed.) However it does show the difference in a disc world with the deserts at the outer edge and the Polar Continent Rhime shown in the previous map.

http://thecbg.org/e107_files/public/...T43819_cbg.jpg

This Style is SUPER FAST. Using Gimp, do whatever you do for your continent outline. Fill the continent shapes with a gradient (i used radial, most are linear - see Ascensions Tutorials) Use the medium Galaxy Brush that comes with GIMP, Dab to place mountains, keep the edges of rough. Motion Blur (optional) and Bump Map. Forests, use a small round brush (standered brush) max Jitter, use Green, and spray away. Bump Map (or emboss whatever keeps the green colour). You can of course do more, but for quickly building, editing, and rebuilding a map area during World building, its great and fast and all using default GIMP stuff.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Interesting idea there about the radial gradient...would seem perfect for looking down from space on the north pole.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty first map. Like it a lot.