Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea God Temple - Altar

Post Sea God Temple - Altar

In thinking about the Temple map contest at I.C.E. with this thread...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...8405#post38405

I was thinking about creating another, improved Temple of Sargos, my Sea God. So I started by making a map object of Sargos on a pedestal altar with many sea creatures surrounding him answering his call.

I've got a thing for water, so a channel with sea water flowing through it will definitely be part of the design.

Anyway here's a 200 ppi PNG 1.6 MB file of the Altar of Sargos. I'm wondering if this design is too complicated for a top-down.

I've also attached a 3/4 view to show you what it's supposed to look like.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sargos.png 
Views:	364 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	7851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sargos-view.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	7852  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post great work GP

I think its looking great GP

I cant see why it should be too 'complicated'.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, very nice GP - though the crab does kind of "disappear" in the top-down.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Its great but I think it is a bit too complicated. Can you move the dolphin and crab laterally away from the figure ? Perhaps have the dolphin angled away a bit ? Also, some good lighting/shading might make it more distinct. If its lit all uniform then its hard to make out shapes so easily. Also, cubic mapping showing through on the base - I'm sure you will fix that tho.

Edit -- actually thats a whale isnt it...

Can you make the deity ride the dolphin\whale?

That's a well understood pose. If you can carry it off with 3d render magic it will feel authentic. Failing that I'd simplify, unless you can make sure a front view is available to sort of explain things. Are you actually expecting the dolphin to float in space? It doesn't look like its resting on anything.

Man things have really changed since the heyday of MS Paint

Sigurd

from the perspective of one who has worked at least a little in metals, All those thin parts and narrow parts and the negative space would be so hard to work out right.

If It was cast or forged in sections and then riveted or welded together then maybe (or if it's actually carved from another material and maybe cronzed over that). But Your best bet might be the lost wax casting which you get one shot at and you most definately would get a short shot from something of this size and this complex.

Post Then I'll simplify!

Then I'll simply it.

@ RedRobes - angling the dolphin out was one idea, and the crab was a last miniute thought...

@ Sigurd - surely I can have Sargos riding the humpback whale, but I still want some of those other fishy elements in there. The dolphin is attached at a point on its side to just at Sargos's flank beneath his arm.

@ Rovingjack - I can certainly agree with you on the likelihood that ancient greeks couldn't make this work, but then this is fantasy. Either there is a wooden Sargos, or the riveted framework inside, beneath the bronze plating.

I think simplifying is the solution, here - this was just my first go at it!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Sargos - Take Two!

OK, Sargos Altar - take two!

Now its just Sargos riding his whale with the trident in the other hand, with a different texture and mapping on the pedestal. Its slightly smaller this time (presumed actual size to be 30' x 40' at 30' tall, on a 6 foot pedestal).

I think less complicated worked better for the top-down view.

I've decided to create individual bronze statues of those other sea creatures, plus a few more, at key locations around the shrine - Sargos's avatars and minions.

Additionally, I wanted to create some illustrated floor tiles depicting fish, sea creatures, sea monsters, and perhaps ships - as inlays onto stone tile. I googled for "17th century sea creature illustrations" and got this hit from a Dutch tile company with photos of 17th painted tiles. Exactly what I was looking for (not everything I wanted, but a good start.)

Dutch Tile Illustrations

I'm currently searching for illustrations I can convert to line art by tracing for some other sea creatures: octopus and squid. (some links look dead though...)

Japanese Sea Creature Art

I may have to create some of my own in a similar style to achieve the variety I need for my map design.

I want to make this grand!

Below is the altered altar!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sargos.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	7862  
    DrivethruRPG store

To me, the riding pose looks more realistic and believable. If that matters.

Sigurd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast