Thread: Terrain Features

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Question Terrain Features

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pirate Sea 005.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	7867

This is part of the landmass for a continent roughly the size of Canada. The bar in the top right hand corner is of a scale length 80 miles.

my problem at the moment is that I absolutely SUCK at drawing terrain features. This map is done by hand and I would like to finish it that way, with places names added by computer (my hand writing sucks as well - and I am a draftsman!). I want the terrain features added before I add the color for the vegetation.

Any suggestions for hand drawing mountains and hills?

A little personal background - I have been a map "geek" since the early eighties, but never got the hang of doing terrain. And I have tried copying other map work but I am always disappointed with the results.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is looking totally butt-kickin so far. There's a link in this thread http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3125 that takes you to a good site...scroll down the page to where it says "Map Symbols". Bunch of good stuff there. I went through and saved all of the pics myself for future reference.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There should also be a tutorial for drawing hand-drawn terrain features in the tutorial section, I'll add a link to it once I find it.

EDIT: It can be found HERE.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Are you drawing by hand on a sheet of paper or by hand on a PC/Tablet?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Thanks for the info guys. I will try to actually get some of this into my "skill-set".

NeonKnight, this is drawn on a sheet aprox. 22x36 then scanned at work for the text to be entered later.