Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea God Temple - I.C.E. contest entry WIP

Wip Sea God Temple - I.C.E. contest entry WIP

Sargoseum - the temple of the Sea God is my entry to the I.C.E. map contest. In the style of a greek temple, slightly altered for my purposes, since my sea god, Sargos, has been inspired by Poseidon.

Relying on 3D created objects, Xara Xtreme and photo images from CGTextures.com in the creation of this map.

Map dimensions is 36" x 48", where 1 inch = 3 feet/meters.

The attached is the incomplete main floor, just the floor, no walls yet. I have placed the altar to Sargos, as well as some columns at the entrance way. I still need to create and place my other planned bronze statues: dolphin, crab, fish, shark, manta ray. I plan to place them on the walkway to either side of Sargos.

See the octopus icon on the center circular tile? I plan to fill those eight smaller tiles with the other sea creatures, I've mentioned in the Map Objects thread for this same challenge. I'll use that same green marble on them as well. Once complete, I will put a bevel and slight drop shadow on the tiles themselves to standout above the mosaic.

The pool is open to the sea, as the temple is built right on the sea's edge. This is the place sacrifices are placed. Food items might be placed in the top circle, where the priest speaks to the worshippers or to the god behind him. Gems, jewelry, armor, weapons and other items are cast in the water. (Acolytes must fish the items out once the worshippers are gone, to add to the temple's treasury.)

Those two alcoves to either side of the temple will contain chambers and stairs, though at ground floor, one serves as the vestry, the other the sacristy.

I need to create the other statues and walls next. When the temple is complete I will create the rocky grounds, cliffside and the sea...

GP

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sargoseum-floor.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	7874  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-17-2008 at 02:55 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All I can say is wow!
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

GP I am always amazed by the quality of your work!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm guessing your sea god is a kind god? When I saw the mosaic in at the bottom (which looks great by the way!) I was hoping for an angry, giant squid god of the sea The statue there looks great though, as does the water around the base. The top of the columns seem to be lacking something, but I'm not sure what.

Over all, great map!

Wip Statues and Walls

My tiles on the mosaic are large so they can be easily viewed by the gamer, they are so large, that it effectively hides the mosaic, beneath. If I used something familiar like an angry squid, you wouldn't be able to see it.

I may place some mosaics in the two side rooms. I might try an angry squid in one of those.

I added walls, stairs up to administrative chambers to either side of the chapel area. I added some additional bronze statues - crab, dolphins, octopus and clams. I added a few more columns, placed a dias for the high priest in the top circle of the mosaic area. Also added stairs in front.

WIP so far...

GP

Name:	sargoseum-new.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	7883  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Looking good as always. You do have some alias artifacts around your 3D models though from the cut paste I'm guessing. Can your 3D program render an alpha channel export? I do that in Poser all the time, but I'm not sure if all 3D programs can do that. It gets rid of having to then cut the image away from the background.

There is also a line in the middle of the octopus icon in the big circle.

There seems to be a "stacking" problem with the figures and wall to the left of the sea god as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Tweaks, tweaks...

I have Poser as well, but I'm not doing the main render there - the app I use doesn't render in alpha channel, I'll fix those edges, though.

I'll probably have to shrink those statues a bit and move above the walls, on left of altar.

The line on the octopus tile, however is not a seam, but an actual dark streak at the center of the green marble, so that's not an error.

Small tweaks to fix these, thanks for noticing, RP.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Odd about that dark streak. That doesn't seem natural to me so I'm attaching what I'm looking at (highlighted in red) just to make sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpeg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	7886
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip Next Update!

OK - I added walls, more chambers, more mosaics: squid, jellyfish, whirlpool and a tidal wave (all from Japanese ukiyo-e prints). I placed some rocky ground, paved street out front, and though difficult to see, ocean on the northern edge.

All I need to do is add some furniture: tables, benches, chests and whatnot into those 4 side chambers, then toss in the hex grid and call this complete!

More tweaks, of course... WIP so far...

GP

Name:	sargos-next.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	7903  
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Its looking really really good. That mosaic floor is dead cool.

I got some pics of some fish I saw in a pool if they will help and I think this is what the problem line RP is telling you about.

My only crit at mo is that the stone block flooring is very pixellated. You will have to find some higher res texture for that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast