Thread: CC3 Quick Question I hope - Tile Fill styles not scaling with grid?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post CC3 Quick Question I hope - Tile Fill styles not scaling with grid?

I am trying to make a dungeon map...quick style, and I created a floor that is using the Stone Grey Tile bitmap fill. The tile is a square bitmap tile and it has beveled edges to make it look like one big tile...so I scaled it to 5'x5' and used it as a fill style, expecting it to function as both floor texture and a 5'x5' grid for combat purposes.

Only problem is...its not scaled...it starts out lined up at the upper left edge, but slowly gets out of sync with the actual 5'x5' grid of CC3. How do I get my fill styles to scale properly?

Also...I'm asking that here because I'm at work and have very limited access to the rest of the web...I'm posting this via a super secret proxy I have that lets me get to this site from work.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

It sounds like it could be because the image you are using is not scalled appropriately to the scale you are trying to use, and as it gets repeated it slowly goes off from the grid. One of the reasons I always try and use non-gridded patterns if that makes sense
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

That makes little sense...because to me, no matter what the actual size in pixels of the bitmap being tiled, if you tell it to tile at a scale of 5'x5' it should do just that...which means in an area 20'x20' the image should tile 4 times x 4 times. If you can't use a gridded pattern as a fill style, you can't make a legitimate battle map, which is probably the most popular style of map around for dungeons...if my floor tiles don't line up with my wall segments, thats pretty dumb. There's gotta be some kind of workaround.

Hi Arcana,

Have you checked the Tile to Fill radio box, checked the Scale box, and set the width and height in the Fill Style Properties for bitmap fills?

See here for more info:

http://www.profantasy.com/cchelp/cc3...itmapfiles.htm

In short, don't scale the image outside of CC3 (other than to make sure that the width and height are the same) but do it within CC3.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Another thought I had (I actually ran into this problem once) - about the bevel, is it on all four sides of the image, or just two (like the top and right side)? Having the bevel on all four sides will look "funky" when you tile them - some of the sides will be "double thick", if that makes sense.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Blog Entries

yup, I've got all that...the fill itself (bitmap) is a stock DD3 fill image...see the name in first post.

I've got it set to tile to fill, opaque, scaled is checked, and width and height are both = 5 and 5. It still doesn't do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I've got it set to tile to fill, opaque, scaled is checked, and width and height are both = 5 and 5. It still doesn't do it properly.
    Hmmm. Try typing in 5'-0" instead of just 5 (if you haven't been doing that already).
    jaerdaph

OK, Arcana, here is what I do (I used this when I did the Thunderspire maps and what not).

Instead of using the Stone Grey Tile bitmap fill use the Stone Grey Flat bitmap fill.

Then make a GRID sheet or simply use the Default GRID SHEET, and in that sheet use the following effect:

Bevel: Length 3; Strength 30%; Invert Colors 1; Fade 0

This will make it appear as if the floor is tiled wherever you draw some lines. (every 5 feet, every 10 feet, etc)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave