Thread: Swampyville

Map Swampyville

A friend of mine asked me to make them a map for their game and gave me a description of what they wanted. It's ended up being a sorta weird scale because it needed the village on the map, but also the surrounding area, so I wasn't too sure if this post should go in region maps or town maps.
    But I guess there is more non-town than there is town, so region seems to suit!

I didn't have a lot of time to spend on the map as they needed it quite quickly. I've not really done swamps before, nor have I worked at this sorta scale so it was a bit new. Oh, and it's not labled because the person recieving it will be doing that.

Suggestions for improvement is of course, always welcome!

Praise Good job!

Good job! For not having made a swamp before, I think you nailed the concept.

My only small nitpick would be if you'd used more of an earthy tone - beige, light brown, tan (mud color) on your land, so the town could stand out a bit stronger against the shallow water.

Otherwise, very good. Have some REP!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll second GP's comments, and add that maybe a slight darker tone to the water may/may not add something - for me water in a swamp/marsh always brings forth the image of murky/muddy/algae covered water.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Heh seems we've both ran into the same problem here.. I need to do some swamps too, but haven't ever tried it.

I like yours, though it seems like it's just sitting in the middle of a pond. Of course I've never really seen a real swamp, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

I think that this is a nice looking map. I can understand what the others have said about the water color. Maybe a greenish brown color. However, even if you decide that you like the effect the way that it is, it is still a great map!

I kinda like the water color, but I agree there should have been more of color difference for the land to make it pop a bit more.

Is that a road going through the swamp? Its a little odd for the crossroads to be outside the town, rather then the town itself - usually towns spring-up around crossroads. I know you did this to someone's specs, and there could also be some reason related to the terrain (like the swamp itself) that offset the town that way.

Great Job.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 11-28-2008 at 09:18 PM.