Thread: Continental terrain

Help Continental terrain

Hi.

What techniques or software should I be looking at if I wish to:

1) Create a specific continental shape (preferably within Fractal Mapper or CC3).

2) Create a relief map or height-map within that shape that follows general mountain ridge locations I have in mind.

3) Set up a procedure so that I can create these things quickly (1-2 hours at the most).

Thanks for any help.

I've been playing around with Fractal Terrains (I got this huge library of RPG and map software as a gift recently from someone wanting to lighten his load) but have trouble getting it to behave so that it'll do the above. I've already looked at the tutorial, but that seems geared towards tweaking random terrain rather than creating specific shapes.

Blog Entries

Roughly & quickly - you can look at this one :-
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1273

But its hard to do exactly in a small amount of time.

As a further question, how do I go about successfully changing the heightmap and painting climates in FT Pro? It seems devilishly difficult to control. The brush settings don't obey the buttons I click, the climates change... oddly on brushstrokes (eg- it seems like climates are set in concentric circles with bare rock at the inside and boreal on the outside... it would be nice to just be able forcibly change the climate to what I want or change existing areas by 1 or 2 steps rather than tossing these strange visual rings around my brush), and the default settings don't seem to affect the terrain much. Suggestions?

Blog Entries

If you look at my sig there is a link to a keyword index. Go look up Fractal Terrains and you will see threads by a few people. Waldronate is the man who can. He has some great tuts on here. Also the thread by me is merely a link to his comprehensive tut too. Should keep you busy.