Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matte Map WIP

Guild Novice

Just crashland a spaceship into the middle of this and you can "burn" a lot of the forest textures if youre not happy with them ...
    If you cant say what youre meaning,
    you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Software used: mostly Photoshop, but icons may come from CC3.

I reworked it with some more textures in the foreground and the forests are looking more defined now. And it looked like a perfect location for.....the Keep on the Borderlands!

So without further ado (apologies for the cheap and nasty frame):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keep on the borderlands.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	644.9 KB 
ID:	8027  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa, that gives me (and I'm sure others as well) some wickedly cool ideas. Rep for the inspiration, I'll let the border slide Thanks!
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oh wow.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Ravs!

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice work. That rugged bit in the foreground looks significantly different than my memory of the Borderlands, but pretty.

In Bryce, you could also hide the somewhat dicey foreground portion of your forested hills texture behind actual trees. Can't see the forest for all the trees...

You know, of course, you need to put up a tutorial. These are the perils of brilliance.

Thanks Su Liam, I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment, but will try and do a tutorial if there is interest. This was a learning process and I'm not going to carry on with it, but I'll do another one using what I've learned from this one, but this time with the perspective in sympathy with the various reference pics I have of medieval cites.

The great thing for anyone wanting to make a picture like this is that all you need is Bryce (I use version 6, but you can do i with 5.5 which I believe is a free or very cheap download), GIMP (another free download) an a bunch of textures over and above the ones which come with Bryce (also free or make your own), and some reference pictures, which you can filch off the internet unless you need good resolution.

That is shockingly cool! And very inspirational.

Now...to find the time to learn Bryce (along with the 75 other apps I want to learn).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12