Thread: Hello

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Map Hello

Hello !

Ever since I had started playing RPGs - roughly 25 years ago - I have been fascinated with maps. Thats influenced because I am a strategist at heart. So I have always dreamed about a fully free digital map of the world I play in, which could be zoomed in without limitations. Sadly that isnt really possible with todays technology, but thanks to the tutorials and help I have found here over the last two weeks I have arrived at a compromise that seems to work atm. This "compromise" is done in Photoshop atm and its a 70*70 cm 300 dpi map of a corner of Forgotten Realms ... 1.74 GB ... but I am not really done yet. Needless to say the file takes about 15 minutes to save and I would have done the whole world map, but PS didnt let me.

When the geography is done I am thinking about trying to put the whole thing into a Campaign Cartographer map so CC3 can handle the towns, roads and labels on the map for different scales.

So far most of it looks great, but I couldnt even have started it without your help. There are still some things that could look better and others which I havent solved the looks problem of. The mountains look nice and 3D-ish, but I need to do something similar with the cliffs and ridges or it will look funny. Also since the mountains look 3D-ish I have to improve the forest, plains and water again to make them look less flat. So the work still isnt done by far and maybe CC3 can help there ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sneak preview.psd  
    If you cant say what youre meaning,
    you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Software used: mostly Photoshop, but icons may come from CC3.