Thread: Greetings fellow cartographers/gamers!

Map Greetings fellow cartographers/gamers!

If you haven't seen my post in the introduction thread, I've been a member for some time now but I'm just beginning to post, so here ya go! I'm always looking to improve, so comments and criticism are welcome.
    Since the majority of my work is made for publication or sale I can't post complete drawings, and many are just samples of what fits on the scanner, but I think they give a good example of my work.
    1. (AutoCAD) This is the ground floor of a large temple complex intended for a larger city. I got the idea while perusing a book on the architecture of cathedrals.
    2. (AutoCAD) A castle's ground floor. A large church/temple dominates the floorplan. I created this castle as more of a fortified manor than an entirely defensive structure.
    3. (Pen and ink) This is the front elevation of a Victorian-style house designed for a horror game.
    4. (Pen and ink) One of my older drawings, I created this hut built against a low cliff that gives a false impression of size. When the players enter they find that the small hut extends back and down into rough-hewn chambers
    5. (Pen and ink) The ground floor of a great hall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Temple gr flr.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	14269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle ground floor.jpg 
Views:	1223 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	14270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	14271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shaman's Hut.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	14272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great Hall.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	14273  

Quote Originally Posted by psyekl View Post
    If you haven't seen my post in the introduction thread, I've been a member for some time now but I'm just beginning to post, so here ya go!
    Beautiful maps! I have a soft spot for the autocad ones. I get what you are saying about them being too 'sterile' and I think they work better for some venues than other. For dwarven fortresses and intricate temples, however, they are glorious!

Welcome to the Guild. Those are some fine, fine maps!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

so psyeki said it would be alright if i did some colouring for some of his maps...

i sent him a note saying how awesome i thought his maps were, but for my brain, it is hard to translate the black and white line art into walls and halls and such...

so here are my preliminary colours on a few of his maps i was drawn to... a cathedral and castle... likely there is more work to be done...

i am particularly interested in psyeki's responses and if i coloured an area wrong - or perhaps if he has more feedback on the nature of some of the rooms or symbols he has used.

everyone else's comments and suggestions are of course welcome too...

phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle-1web.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	758.0 KB 
ID:	14791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cathedral-web.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	465.2 KB 
ID:	14792  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

nice coloring job phil (especially the first one), the scheme works well with out losing any of the wonderful detail of the original.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks Steel General...

The second one is more of an in-progress colouring job -- but i thought it would be good to hear from psyeki as to whether i have got the difference between the grassy grounds and the floors of the cathedral right...

i found the layouts gorgeous, but i am not sure if i can read them right or if i have guessed wrong as to what is interior, and what is exterior...

phil

I can see some areas that are colored as Interior that I believe 'SHOULD' be exterior.

As to how to read the 'maps', using the right map, the Dashed Lines represent Arches, Flying butresses, etc.

The Crossed Dashed lines (like a big X) represent Ribbed Vaults:

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

If you can find the book, a great little book for mapping is:

Complete Architecture Handbook
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post

i am particularly interested in psyeki's responses and if i coloured an area wrong - or perhaps if he has more feedback on the nature of some of the rooms or symbols he has used.

phil
    My specialty is creating maps in black and white, so it's neat to see them in color! The courtyard of the castle was intended to be dirt, with a few grassy spots on the edges outside of the traffic area. The temple looks fine, I had intended for there to be several paved areas, which you did leave clear. There would, however, be paths to and from the various outbuildings, not to mention expansive gardens away from the center of the complex.\

As I stated before, the maps were not complete, and I will add all of the required detail on the final version, though I do intend to keep my version in black and white. The company where I'm seeking an artist's position has made clear that they want maps in black and white only, no color or grayscale.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Psyekl:

Good to see you back on the forum! Your work is amazing. Don't be a stranger.