Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCRAPPED]Temple of Tomival (Moon God)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip [SCRAPPED]Temple of Tomival (Moon God)

OK, here it is in it's very early stages.

Tomival is the God of the Moon, the Night, the Stars and Lycanthropes (need to work this aspect in somehow). See the entry in the CWBP WIKI.

The main temple is similar to a planetarium where the ceiling opens up so the night sky can be viewed (Weather permitting). Inside, the walls, ceiling and floor are painted as a starfield and it can be very disconcerting to those not used to it. Each of the steps leading up to the altar are lit from underneath (similar to the floor lights in a theater. The symbol in the center is called a Moon or Lunar Cross and is Tomival's symbol.

I'm wide open to suggestions, etc. I've already scrapped several different versions.

FYI...The image is large so you may need to zoom in quite abit to see any real detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple of Tomival.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	7930  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like the concept for the floor and the way it has been drawn makes it feel like the central dais is floating in space. The blue marble is very rich looking as well. As for ideas on what to put in...well, I'm more of a big picture guy and leave the details to those more suited for the task but I'd put in a bunch of moons floating around the edges so that they could display lunar phases with orbit paths and one could stand on the dais and contemplate the moon. The I'd put in 4 arched bridges at the compass points to add to the sense of "falling into space". Some constellations as well. I'm sure some other stuff will hit me in time but I hope this helps for now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@Ravs - Thanks...The grassy background is just there temporarily, it bothers my eyes when the background is a big solid mass of color so I usually throw some kind of texture on it to help break it up some. I'll either remove it or re-render it at a larger scale later on to get rid of the 'tiling'.

@Ascension - Thanks...any suggestions are helpful (whrther I use them or not ) it helps get the 'old creative juices flowing' again.

I thought about putting the whole thing in the middle of a pool so it looks like its 'floating', but haven't come up with anything I really like. Not sure whether I want to add any more to the floor of the temple itself (I'll give it a try though) - I have more 'structures' to add though with the changes I made not sure how I'm going to connect them together.

Heck I may not even take this much further - I have some other ideas I may try.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post No lycanthropy ideas... :(

SG, I've been wracking my brain to discover a means of conveying the idea of the lycanthropic twist. I'm drawing a blank. Maybe two interlocking circles with the moon at center of temple also located at the place the circles overlap and an outline of a wolf's head in one circle and the outline of a human figure in the other. But that does seem to fit into your design as a whole.

I couldn't come up with an idea that's cohesive with the sum of the parts...

Otherwise, looking good!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

GP - Thanks, appreciate the effort and comments.

To take GP's idea one step further to convey the lycanthropic twist how about having a wolf's head looking at a man's head on the platform behind the moon symbols. Do it as if it was a constellation with the stars giving the outlines of the faces.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

That's a good idea RP, i'll have to give that a shot - though a lot will depend on finding a good outline of a wolf head - one that doesn't look to 'cartoony'.

I could possibly put the outlines outside of the left and right crescents of the symbol on the main altar...hmmm. Both ideas definitely have merit.

SG - Have you looked into any of the imagery around the Roman god Janus and the Temple of Janus? He was the god of doorways, gates beginnings and ends, but his symbol was often depicted as two faces joined at the skulls.

A quick GIS found this: http://www.graphicwitness.org/group/nastwar2.jpg

I like that idea. If you can wait until later tonight, I believe I can give you a nice render of a human skull/face and a wolf. I'm not sure if I have a wolf skull though. I would have to look through my stuff.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast