Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Magus Aerie

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map the Magus Aerie

Inspired by the floating castles of DragonLance & Moon's Spawn from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series I decided to create my own floating castle/fortress.

I started with Ascension's wonderful tutorial on making an asteroid, leaving out the steps that didn't really fit into what I was trying to do. The next step was the sky/clouds, the Gods of Google were with me and I found several quality tutorials on the creation of realistic clouds. Creation of the castle itself was fairly simple as it is essentially a series of stacked discs. I then let it loose on the CG Community. Through a lot of trial and error, and with plenty of immensely useful feedback (thanks again all ) it gradually got to where I was fully satisfied with it.

So here it is... the Magus Aerie - home to the Council of Five; a group of wizards of nearly god-like power who lord over the planet of Animaar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CouncilOf5a.jpg 
Views:	1282 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	7947  
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ooh ooh, idea.

Second cloud layer with some wisps seeping and flowing around the edges to give them heft (use a smudge tool to tease the wisps out). Also maybe cut out a small section to reveal some rocky texture below (difference clouds + a reddish/orangish set of gradients).

Just some ideas if you want to keep playing with it.

edit: I rep thee my second repee.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It looks awesome. I'm pretty sure I repped this in the WIP stages, but the work and care that went into this definitely deserves another hit.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    It looks awesome. I'm pretty sure I repped this in the WIP stages, but the work and care that went into this definitely deserves another hit.
    Thanks Torstan...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Actually it looks like I repped you a little too recently so can't actually make it right now. I'll try to remember and do so when I can again.

No problem...

This came together quite nicely SG.

Well done!
    Something witty and pithy

Nice work. I have one question though: Was it intended that the surface of one disc is continued on the neighboring ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Al. I. Cuza View Post
    Nice work. I have one question though: Was it intended that the surface of one disc is continued on the neighboring ones?
    Thanks... If I'm understanding your question correctly (and if not it's probably just me ), the bottom most layers are all connected by the 'arms'.

No, I meant that the texture of all levels of the fort is exactly the same. I think it would have been nice if would have changed the texture for every level of the fort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast