Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] Ascension style continent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's the same tutorial I used on my Challenge Map for this month, it's a great tutorial; and fairly easy to follow.

Now whether it will work for your purposes is hard to answer, you could always try it and then turn the opacity way down so it just kind of 'lingers' in the background.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Got it. I think I may use a starfield plus a cinematic background using warships, dropships etc against the spacey part. So a planet approach will play a role... maybe some orbital bombardment... this could be really hard but awesome.

Wip

Update:

Totally new background and I'm really liking the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Icosahedron Template4.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	8118  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo, very nice. I'd bonk thee with some rep but it appears I need to bonk some others first.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Help

Well I started working on the second continent and ran into trouble. The emboss layer style isn't behaving as I wanted.

As you can see on the first image, I pasted a layer from my first continent. The other layer is meant for my second continent and on it I get a plateau effect. On the first continent layer, I don't.

Looking at the second image you can see that there isn't a substantial visual difference between the two when the layer styles aren't applied.

I'm at a loss as to what gives and I'd like to get rid of that plateau.

My emboss settings are thus:

inner bevel;
    chisel soft;
    100 depth;
    size 6, up;
    angle and height, 135/16;
    linear gloss;
    highlight screen, 100;
    shadow multiply, 100;

They are the same on each layer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	945.4 KB 
ID:	8132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	870.9 KB 
ID:	8133  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Are you sure that the second one has any layer styles on it whatsoever? It does not appear to (to me) because the first image has a color overlay and the second one does not. The second one looks to be just a copy/paste of the mountains before styling. I like the plateau thingy, though, and might have to incorporate that into a regional map. Secondly, the plateau effect is caused by the size of the bevel, here it is 6. Change it to 1 or up the softness.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oops. Unclear antecedents. The original mountains are the first circle in the first image. The new mountains are the second circle in the first image. I have turned off the layers in the second image to demonstrate that the two mountains are remarkably similar but that you get a plateau in the second circle of the first image.

.... I don't know, THIRD BASE.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I decided to start all over and just do the whole world at once.

All done! (I like it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12