Thread: [Illus] Linking problem

Help [Illus] Linking problem

So I'm trying linking photoshop raster images into Illustrator files. Cool idea that you can edit in Photoshop and have it automatically update in Illustrator. Problem is that every time I close the file, I lose the link and have to re-link all images when I open it again. What gives?

Usually that only happens if the path to one or the other has changed or both. If you move or rename the Illustrator file, that might break the link to placed files. And obviously, if you move or rename the placed file, that will definitely break the link.

If you move both files, the link will also be broken. I commonly transport Illustrator files on a thumb drive, and even if I keep the relative locations the same as on my desktop at home (a references folder inside my Illustrator docs folder), I still have to relink the files when I open the .ai at school.

Actually, removable media in general might cause a problem if the computer is not assigning the same drive letter to the device every time.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I figured it out. The save-as options for .ai are not very clear. So it's only natural that I'd click the checkbox "Include Linked Files" not knowing that it actually means I'm embedding them. Yay for clarity.