Thread: About the logo and theme of the site.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post About the logo and theme of the site.

Just in case any of you were interested...I thought I'd share with you all the source image of the logo and thus the inspiration for the theme of this website. A while back I started modelling a compass rose like object that I was inspired by some crazy psychology program.

It eventually became its own entity and no longer represented the inspiration, so instead of leaving it as just an object, I decided to place it in a scene and give it a purpose.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/misc/index.php

I'm actually not finished with the scene as a whole, but you can get an idea by looking at it where its going. The object I imagine in the world of fantasy would be a form of magical scrying device. And I imagine it would operate a lot like google earth...you place it over a map and through some divination magic it would identify the map and you could peer into the central gemstone and see an aerial view of what it was representing...and the smaller gemstones would control pan and zoom or something kooky like that.

I still have some fine-tuning of the scene and the materials before its finalized, but eventually I'll render off a final and probably sell prints of it along with my other artwork on that site.

Enjoy that "behind the scenes" peek at the inspiration for this theme.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Can I say that that is extremely well done?!

Is the map in the background a CC2 map texture? Very cool as well!

Do you have any plans to sell that compass rose model? I have an extremely long running campaign that I would love to use it in, and I think I would use it exactly as you have envisioned it. The campaign is a sort of globe spanning treasure hunt so this would be an awesome artifact for the players.

If not, that's cool too, but would you mind if I "borrowed" the picture to show the players?

Blog Entries

I don't mind ya using it...I don't want to sell the model as a whole though...I do want to sell prints of the artwork though

If you make it into an artifact...can ya post the stats writeup here?

I can certainly do that.

Blog Entries

Sorry for the ancient topic bump...but I just made this into an "official" cartoguild wallpaper...

It and the sites banner/button now comprise the Miscellaneous section of the site. Of which there will soon be more content more than likely.

Miscellaneous

There's also a link at the top of the site in the menu.

Nice wallpaper.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Guild Novice

Just wanted to let ya know I really like the theme for this site.

Is the background image (wood planks) your own design? I've been looking for something like it (maybe a wood grain with more red in it) but can't find anything.

Great job on the site!

Blog Entries

The wood planks are actually a photosourced texture I took while on vacation at Weeks Bay Alabama...one of the boardwalks at the park was made out of this really old weathered wood...I snapped it and darkened it up for the theme.

I'm glad ya like it! Feel free to use the wood if you'd like.