Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A regional experiment

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip A regional experiment

I doodled this up tonight as an attempt to combine my usual style with a regional map. Don't know if I'll finish it as it was just an experiment. I'll probably experiment with it some more before I call it done.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-07-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise Rep worthy!

Well that's worthy of REP, have some! (I didn't knock you over the top at 100 rep, but I got you close, somebody else has to push you over!)

Nice job, I can't wait until you're finished!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Sweet, thanks man! Guess that means I'll have to finish it properly with scale and text.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

Welcome to the world of +3 (or more ?) repping capability.

Bonk.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is absolutely stunning , you better "darn" well finish it!

I'll give you a "in good faith" bonking since I just repped you the other day.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Your one of my favorite mappers here Ascension, i love your style and look. I really hope you update your tutorial or do a new one showcasing your evolving style. Just love the map! If i had rep it would go all your way (well some for Torq, "The 3 Robs", and others too!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lathorien View Post
    If i had rep it would go all your way (well some for Torq, "The 3 Robs", and others too!)
    I should think that you have a +1 club of repping. Click on the recipients scales icon.

I love the colours. Is there any specific palette you work from?

Thank you very much Lath, I do appreciate it.

Larb, I always start with the same colors as mentioned in the continent tutorial, you might notice that I repeat them in the other tuts. I even start with the same colors on other things because the color code numbers are burned into my brain from using them so much. These colors constitute a "starting point" and then I twiddle the knobs and push the buttons (figuratively) until something better (in my opinion) comes out the other end. Texturing is done much the same way. I like to think of what I do as world-building...I feel like a sculptor molding the land to what I want using erasers and airbrushes and when I want something new and unpredictable I mess with the filters and see what happens. And in the end it has to pass my "How much ass does this kick?" criteria.

Recently there has been a thread on making zillions of houses for a city map and I thought to carry that over into a regional map. So I used a 100-pixel airbrush and in the brush dynamics (Photoshop) I gave it a texture (Photoshop default texture known as "towel") and out pops something kinda city like...little squares randomly placed. Then I load it up with styles and call it good. The styles change but I start with a pre-defined set of styles I have saved...they are also in the Mapping Elements subforum here at The Guild.

On to the update: lots of tweaks...roads, bridges, city walls and turrets, "areas of interest" upgrades, ocean color tweaks and waves, and of course the whole key menu and started labeling. This one should be done tomorrow or the next few days, depending on how the naming of things goes. Some of the bridges might not be able to be seen, as they're hidden in the city's shadows but I always feel obligated to give the people what they need so I put em in anyways, even if no-one notices.

PS - the font is Becker Fraktur.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You know I love your stuff, and I'm always "complaining" about how it seems dark to me. I think this time the font color actually needs to be toned down.

To me it seems to clash against the darker, more subtle color scheme of the rest of the map. Maybe even just turn the opacity down a bit so it isn't so 'stark'. *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast