Thread: Map Orientation

Wip Map Orientation

This is my first attempt at creating a map. I know the style isn't very realistic; I had no idea where to start when making a realistic map. Anywho, I'm pleased with the overall look of the map, and it should serve its purpose (it lost some of its look when I saved a copy in the .gif format; the original .xcf looks much better).

I have a question to pose, however. Which way should this continent be oriented? I've attached two images of it, they are mirrored. Which do you prefer?

You can have a cookie if you can guess which one is the original and which is the mirror image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test A.gif 
Views:	138 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	7824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestB.gif 
Views:	87 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	7825  

The Map on the Left, with all the Whirlpools in the SouthWest, as the Mountains have the sort of Default looking SHADOW on the Western Slopes.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hmmm...

Well, thanks for your input! I think I'm starting to lean to the left as well. The map on the left, that is.

Guild Member

For a tip on making it a bit more realistic, rain generally stops on the west side of a mountain I believe, so the eastern side would be a bit more arid, so use darker greens on the left(west) and yellowish greens on the right(east).

anyways, nice map for your first try! I expect you'll be doing much better in no time!

Or reverse that if your coriolis forces are inverted!

That's in mid-latitudes. The inter-tropical convergence zone(ITCZ, naively the equator) features easterly winds. That's why the Amazon rainforest is on the west and the Atacama is on the west. Sort of. So why does Somalia look the way it does?