Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Island Kingdom of the Grand Holdings

Guild Novice

Post Wow...thanks!

Wow...thanks for all the comments and dialog! I am glad my little sample map has generated some actual discussion!

As a bit of useful info, I initially saved my map image in jpg format with quality set at 100. Then I used Irfanview to rachet the quality down to about 50. The image went from 343kb to 91kb, but I could see noticeable artifacts, especially around text.

Well, I decided to save the 100 quality jpg image as a gif (also using Irfanview and it shrunk to 122kb. Larger than the 60 quality jpeg version, but MUCH better quality. Its perfectly clear now. The large blocks of color and generally low color count of CC maps lends itself well to the gif format.

I uploaded the gif version, so check it out now. The new attachment mod actually allows you to upload a new version of an existing attachment, so there is no delete/readd hastle. I'll play a bit more with this map this weekend and post an update...thanks again, guys!

Post Re: Wow...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman
    As a bit of useful info, I initially saved my map image in jpg format with quality set at 100. Then I used Irfanview to rachet the quality down to about 50. The image went from 343kb to 91kb, but I could see noticeable artifacts, especially around text.
    If Allyn shows up here and find you admitting to using jpgs, he'll tell you got what you deserved for using them! Remember - png = Good, jpg = bad

(said firmly tongue in cheek!)

Chris

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Post Re: Island Kingdom of the Grand Holdings

1. I like the outline shape of the continent/island. It's irregular, much like real terrain.

2. You do a better job of placing forests than you do at placing mountains. Ironically, the largest mountain range, the one that you used the most symbols to represent, is the most eye-grabbing of the areas on your map, which is understandable, but simultaneously, it is the least impressive area of the map. of the three mountain ranges displayed on the map, I like the smallest one the best, the one to the right of the main mountain range.

3. Rivers are normally life paths through terrain, and tend to teem with vegetation. Your forests, for the most part, don't look too bad, but their placement seems to not be impacted by the flow of your rivers.

4. Your population center placement looks OK.

5. The look of your hills I dislike. Of all of the terrains that you displayed, the areas of hills is the least impressive, visually.

6. Of the swamps and grasslands, I like the swamp areas the best.

7. Some of your rivers look like they sit atop your mountains. That is aesthetically detracting. Otherwise, you have several rivers scattered throughout your map, and that is a plus. The absence of lake sor ponds does not go unnoticed.

8. Your rivers tend to split, rather than join from smaller flows into larger flows. But, this is how rivers are commonly displayed in CC2 maps.

9. Your pop centers seem to have few small settlements, compared to the number of larger population centers.

Very nice. I particularly like how you separated the pine forests from the deciduous ones.

Lorne

Guild Novice

Post Update of map to CC3

Here is a quick conversion of my map into CC3 format. It was a quick conversion, but its quite a difference from the original map, huh?

It still needs work, however. I am not happy with some aspects of it, such as the countours under the mountains and the roads. However, I think it turned out nicely. I haven't found the symbols for the scales or compass roses yet, but that's coming. Tell me what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	island_kingdom_of_the_grand_holdings_506.jpg 
Views:	1589 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	263  

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BIG difference bro...lookin good! I think it needs some contour adjustment though...like you said...I think yer on the right track. Yeah find the scale and cartouche...the negative space is killing me.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Fact is,
    I love both styles.
    The CC3 style is pretty cool, but in some ways I still love the old CC2 look. It's... different.
    I guess the first map would look much better if you would add some "sea-contours" (levels) to it. It would be more plastic then.

But nevertheless both maps are nice.
    Come to where the kobolds are...
    www.dnd-gate.de - The German D&D Community

Guild Apprentice

If you are interested in a neat compass rose for your map, check out the Cartographers Guild Compass Rose Symbol - Crystal Rose thread.

--

Dalton "who just celebrated his 49th birthday by looking for his nephew's lost house key" Spence

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    BIG difference bro...lookin good! I think it needs some contour adjustment though...like you said...I think yer on the right track. Yeah find the scale and cartouche...the negative space is killing me.
    I agree. Maybe turn on transparency for the contours, and toss some random trees in there or something. Otherwise, looking great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12