Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SketchUp Building Starter Kit

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

G -- Yep, that's why it's pretty basic
    R -- cool, I'll get those up here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's a pity Sketchup is such a timesink
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

No Sh.. . . .t!

Is there a way to get a pattern (say, battlements!) to repeat more-or-less by using click and drag?

Also, is there a way to get a uniform grid (with absolute x/y/z/ coordinate information) working?
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Guild Apprentice

@Kingbreaker, re repeating patterns: Click and drag, not that I know of. However, if you can create a repeatable battlement and set it up correctly, you can copy/paste it in sequence very rapidly. Hm...how to explain it? Set up crenelations in a set of any number but build the last one on both ends only halfway - and make sure both ends are either up or down. Then, when you copy/paste it, you can set one of the half-crenelation points as the reference point and drop it onto the other one; just keep hitting ctrl-V (paste) and clicking, and it works pretty well. If you'd like a tutorial with pictures, I could try to make one. I don't think an XYZ coordinate system is possible though, because SketchUp's axes can be changed manually (which would obsolete any grid being used before the change).

Back to the thread's original...ish topic, those are some really nice SketchUp blanks! I've mostly been doing really simple shapes, so that's a very nice reference even if just for the variety of shapes buildings can be in. And I love that castle turret (in the 5-image post), it's awesome.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, man, glad you liked it. All of those stairs gave me a bit of a tizzy at first cuz I was trying to make this a complete chunk that could be copy/pasted to form a solid curtain wall ring.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12