Thread: Newbie Here

Guild Novice

Post Newbie Here

Hi,
    My Name is Andrew Franke, I am the creative director of a new gaming and publishing company called Ravensworth. I had hear this was the best place to learn about mapmaking. Please excuse any foolish questions I ask. I will try to educate myself by reading the posts already here.

Post Welcome!

Welcome Andy! (that's easier to type out!)

Explore the Mapping Software list in the Software Forum, check out the tutorials forum for lots of lessons on map-making, post maps early on, no matter "how bad you think they are" and let us do C&C and get you going in the right direction.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thank you for the welcome. I am going to take a look around at the mapping software and try to get started. As well as take advantage of the knowledge of some great Cartographers.

It's funny because my Dad was a Cartographer in WWII. Part of a Topo company that made maps for D-day and more. He later became the director of Defense mapping School at Ft. Belvoir Virginia. They didn't have the software back then and I unfortunatley never learned to make maps. I did however learn from him all about scale and how to read all of the different kinds of maps. So when i Joined the marines, I didn't have any trouble with orienteering.
    Miss my dad still but I think he would be proud of me trying to learn something he loved so much.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ya always do your family proud when trying to learn about something that they liked. My grampa was a WWII vet and he gave me a Japanese bayonet and officer's sword...pretty cool stuff. He was a coal miner and when my gramma moved in with my mom she brought a bunch of his old coal mining stuff so I've been reading his old books (lots of maps) and company newsletters. I think he would be happy knowing that I was interested enough to learn more about what he did, as I'm sure your pops would be. Cheers, mate and glad to have ya here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps