Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many cranes!

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

EXIF is the bomb...it helps when people try to pass off something as something else on forums...you can always check the EXIF of the file and almost always call them out, because they don't know to change it.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

I got mine with IrfanView which is a great image viewer. Just press I for information.

Image magick has it like this:

identify -format "%[EXIF:*]" "london skyline small.jpg"

i.e. shows just the information which is an exif field.

One of the things that you can do which is very cool is with the orientation field. A lot of cameras now have a hidden little sensor in them so if you take the photo in portrait mode by holding it at 90 deg then it knows and tags it. When you unload all the pics you can get a script to orient them the correct way up and make thumbnails out of them and format up a web page or whatever with that selection of images. If you get IM to resample the images to exactly your monitor res then they would be sharper than viewing them using most other systems though I think that IrfanView uses excellent resample anyway and can be told to look for the orientation tag too I think.

I have also seen the iPhone use a similar sensor so that as you hold it up and rotate the device (in 90deg steps...) the picture stays upright.

Actually on the iMac books they have analog sensors for doing light saber duels... (well do you know any other reason for them ?). I wonder if you could load up a 360 deg sphere panorama and as you move it about it shows the correct angle bit of the image so that the panorama image stays fixed in space. That would be silly.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my wife's Nikon D40 saves images right side up based on the angle sensor. She doesn't have to rotate portrait mode pictures because they're saved correctly. yay!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I dont know much about the technical details, but I think its a great photo. Well done Ravs, you're an aesthete (??) man.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12