Thread: Political Borders in cc3?

Post Political Borders in cc3?

I need to create a map with pronounced political borders, and have each "region" be a different color. I've seen this done many times over the years but have never been able to accomplish this effect. I'm having a real hard time figuring out how to do this.

Anyone with experience in cc3 who can offer any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish, in case my explanation is lacking. It seems like it should be very simple, but I am completely drawing a blank.

Thanks much. :-)
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Very easy to do.

I am a little busy tonight though (I have a practical Skills test for CCNA tonight), but I can whip you up a tutorial tomorrow if you can wait that long.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

That would be awesome. Been pounding my head against the wall trying to figure it out on my own.

Good luck on the test. :-)
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I love the Arythea maps on your website. In truth, I think I prefer the plainer one at the top of the map table to the CC3 version. Both are great maps though.

One comment on the political boundaries. Sometimes it can be better to leave well defined boundaries off the map. This allows for disputed borders and unclaimed wild lands between kingdoms. If there are well defined political borders, there are usually well established nations that have fought over the borders for numerous years. Nations spread until they can't spread any further due to another nation powerful enough to resist. Only then are political borders defined by treatise and redefined through warfare. Allowing the borders to be fluid and approximate can leave more room for adventure.
    Last edited by Valarian; 11-25-2008 at 03:38 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

A bit off-topic, but your Arythea maps are great! It looks like you invested a lot of time in mapping your world. Very nice to see you also mapped some of the cities.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

OK, I have finished a Quick Tutorial to cover making political borders in CC3.

The Tut can be found here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3516

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

That's awesome...thanks man. It's a little quirky and takes a while to trace the coastline (imported from FTpro), but it works great. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Here's an example I played around with after reading your tutorial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regionalmap24.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	8109

The current project I'm working on is a series of maps that will show an empire's expansion over a long period of time, so the political borders are kinda fundamental.

Thanks again.

My Albums - My Portfolio

I am glad it was help. Best of luck on your project.