Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Political Borders in CC3

This pdf file appear to be broken.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corejob View Post
    This pdf file appear to be broken.
    Works fine for me...

It appears to be a problem with the Opera web browser. Downloaded in IE just fine.

Hi NK

I am having a few problems with this too, I'll try and detail what's happening below. Before I start I have to say I can see what you are doing it's just clarification on some points I need as it doesn't seem to work as straightforward as the tutorial would seem. Also, I'm patched up to the latest version.

1. When you say draw the borders AWAY from features I don't know what you mean. I am trying to draw a border along a small test area of a map and doing so along a stretch of coast, into the interior and back to the start point, a roughly rectangular shape.

2. Trace feature; how? I click on a promontory of the coast to begin the border (having clicked border, default) then hit T to begin the trace. Do I re-click the same point as point to begin the trace, or the next point along, and so on, back to the start point to close the border? Do I ultimately right click to close the border? It keeps on throwing up random lines or selecting the entire coast and I don't know what I am doing wrong?

3. Path to Poly - I need more info on this. I have followed these steps and it immediately seems to select the entire border as an entity...and then all I can do is "Do it"...but it doesn't seem to do anything. The resulting map is NOTHING like the tutorial map. I get the border apparently selected and not filled in or anything like it.

This is as far as I can go so far.

Advice and help required!

Thank you in advance!

OK further to my post above, I'm still trying to get this working, and really have no idea why its not. The tutorial posts are just a little ambiguous at the moment. At the Fractalise -> Path to Poly Section, it appears that I already HAVE a closed border, once I finish directly drawing the border that I want (without using trace at all, may I add), I end up with a border, Dashed Line, with NO FILLED section at all!!!

I really have no idea where this is going wrong. I think I am following the steps successfully (without going near Trace ATM) and it simply does not work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borders Test.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	64168

This is what I've got, without touching Trace - just cant get it to work at all. No solid fill, cant get THAT to work as described, and Edge Fade Inner hides everything on Map so far.

First: I am aware that at the moment I am replying to myself, however I am hoping that anyone else using this tutorial will find the posts helpful.

TRACE: Once you first start your initial point for the border to begin, hit T. You will then be asked to select what you want to trace, so select the river or coastline as appropriate. At this point you can then select the initial point to trace from, as you move the cursor after clicking your start point the line will follow the feature until you click your end point. From here you can then add further nodes or traces as required. Try and place drawn borders or traces close to end points of others so that the Path To Poly action can function correctly. Several times when sections were too far apart I got spurious enormous lines and had to back up.

Still can't get entire sections to fill in colour nor border lines to neatly sit alongside others without totally drawing over the top of different coloured ones, WIP!

Yet another post:

The Trace now seems to be working or rather I now seem to be doing the Trace action correctly.

I've been looking round some other posts for tips or advice on what seems to be going wrong with the Path To Poly command. I don't know if its due to the version I am using or what exactly is the problem, but I've now seen in two or three other posts that the use of the Path To Poly command should create a filled polygon of the Colour selected in the menu bar. However, all I seem to get is a polygon line of this colour. When I amend fill style, or amend colour it doesn't do anything other than fill this actual line with the Fill Style selected. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if its a program issue.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

UB

Hello, OK got your message. Need a short bit to look at what I wrote and then formulate an asswer. Been away awhile but I will return!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

No worries, take your time. Work has gotten in the way of mapping for the last few days anyway!

The few minutes I have been able to scrounge have revealed that the Borders button will not as far as I can see allow Path To Polygon to create a filled polygon, but using the Path command WILL allow solid polygons to be formed as prospective territories. Duh. Sort of. Reading the tutorial it seems to suggest the Borders command will allow individually drawn border sections and traces to be joined up using path to poly to form solid polygons/countries.

Going to try again later, work permitting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast