Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Political Borders in CC3

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleblob View Post
    Hi NK

I am having a few problems with this too, I'll try and detail what's happening below. Before I start I have to say I can see what you are doing it's just clarification on some points I need as it doesn't seem to work as straightforward as the tutorial would seem. Also, I'm patched up to the latest version.

1. When you say draw the borders AWAY from features I don't know what you mean. I am trying to draw a border along a small test area of a map and doing so along a stretch of coast, into the interior and back to the start point, a roughly rectangular shape.
    For this i mean, just click on the open landmass, away from any of the coasts, rivers, etc, so that you don't accidentally select on of them.

2. Trace feature; how? I click on a promontory of the coast to begin the border (having clicked border, default) then hit T to begin the trace. Do I re-click the same point as point to begin the trace, or the next point along, and so on, back to the start point to close the border? Do I ultimately right click to close the border? It keeps on throwing up random lines or selecting the entire coast and I don't know what I am doing wrong?
    When you click the T for trace, the window at the bottom will ask you to select a point where you wish to trace. Click the cross hairs on the river, lake edge, coast, you should notice as you move the pointer, a gray line is now following along that other item (shore, river, other border, etc). The window at the bottom now asks for ending point location. Here you would simply move the cursor to the rough spot on the map you wish your border to stop following the feature, click the button, and you are back to free drawing the border.

3. Path to Poly - I need more info on this. I have followed these steps and it immediately seems to select the entire border as an entity...and then all I can do is "Do it"...but it doesn't seem to do anything. The resulting map is NOTHING like the tutorial map. I get the border apparently selected and not filled in or anything like it.
    No and I know why. The border feature you are using places a thick line. The remedy is actually very simple. After doing the Path to Poly, select the CHANGE PROPERTIES button, and change the following:

COLOR - [Change to whatever color you would like this border to be.

FILL STYLE - Solid

LINE WIDTH - 0.000

And that one is the biggie. If the line is any other width other than 0, you would have an outline other than a solid polygon.

This is as far as I can go so far.

Advice and help required!

Thank you in advance!

Hopefully those answer should get you where you are looking to go.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Perfection! The Trace command I'd more or less figured out now, it was path to poly was getting me! Did what you described and badda Bing, one Voldan Empire springs into being!

I'd already Liked this and gave you rep, would that I could double it!

Many thanks for your help

UB

Glad I could help/
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Hello! So i tried to do this tutorial and was able to ...get to the point where the area in the borders is red but...the sheet seems to not be taking to me making it translucent....I feel like i messed up somewhere and i don't know where

So when you have right clicked on path to poly it's generating a section in your chosen colour? At this point you need to go into the sheets and create a translucence which suits your taste.

I hope I have understood your problem ok

Thanks for the tutorial. Just what I needed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123