Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepes Frontier

Post Nepes Frontier

A few weeks ago, I posted a hex map of the Nepes Frontier to the CC2 list. The biggest criticism was that it was a hex map. Not that I'm changing my stance on hex maps, but I thought I might try my hand at a new mapping style that I've been experimenting with--more of a USGS-type representation.

With that, here is the Nepes Frontier, part II:

Small: http://www.welshpiper.com/wip/nepes_frontier_small.png
    Large: http://www.welshpiper.com/wip/nepes_frontier_large.png

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers,
    Chimera RPG:
    Guidelines for Multi-genre Roleplaying
    http://www.welshpiper.com/

Awesome maps esmale! There's nothing wrong with hex maps... it's all a matter of what you need/want/like.

Kelly

Post Nepes map

Looking good.

I think it's good to experiment with different styles.

My only criticism at this point is that a lot of the point symbols are very similar. Means the map viewer would likely have to keep referring to the legend. Maybe think about different colors/shapes, arranged into categories, for example all woodmen symbols in one color or basic shape, with the same attributes for sub-categories (not sure that's making sense). Just as an example, use squares for all woodmen and circles for the other humans, filled if inhabited, outline only if vacant. Just some thoughts. It's a nice map as it is so far.

Wow! That is really well done. You captured the style brilliantly.

That is awesome. I am always torn when making maps. Sometimes I want them to display detailed "tactical" information that will help me as the gamemaster set the scene, other times I want the map to look a certain way. That style is perfect for tactical campaign maps.

As someone who uses USGS maps fairly frequently you really captured the look well.

How difficult were the contours and labeling of them to do?
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

Quote Originally Posted by deanatglobe
    How difficult were the contours and labeling of them to do?
    The contours were very simple. I created a smooth-path drawing tool to constrain the lines to the map borders, then just drew the lines where I thought they should go. The contour height interval is based on the map scale (in this case, 50' for a 10 mile x 10 mile map).

For the contours that are closed, I used the same drawing tool to create an open, smooth path. Then used the EDIT command, select the path, and click on the CLOSED checkbox to create a closed poly (then also had to change the fill style from SOLID to HOLLOW).

Labeling was easy, too, though I'm not sure if I didn't overdo it. I created one contour label, adjusted colour and layer, then copied that to where I needed it, editing the value as appropriate. I know that the USGS 7 minute maps display the contours a bit closer together, with smaller, more consistently placed labels, but I wanted some screen-readability, so my labels are a bit bigger and all over the place.

From your experience, do you think the contours need tweaking?

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,
    -Erin
    Chimera RPG:

I think that it is just about perfect for what you set out to do. If anything, perhaps you could move all the contour labels to the "bottom" of all the contours. That would be about the only tweak I could suggest. Perhaps deanatglobe has some others.

Definitely not too many contours. On USGS contours there are even more, with darker ones every 10 contour line or so, with the dark ones being the only one's labeled.

I think the result you got is very readable and conveys the info nicely. I would be hesitant to add as many contours as an actual topo map, maybe when we get transparencies ( soon I hope ).

Just seeing that map makes me imagine using it to travel from place to place. It surprised me what a visual image I got in my mind for what those places would look like.

I can totally see have a map like that where I use it to track my traveller's movements right on the map. Paths they took, events etc.

Definitely inspired me to do some mapping this weekend.

Dean
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

Quote Originally Posted by Zurik
    My only criticism at this point is that a lot of the point symbols are very similar. Means the map viewer would likely have to keep referring to the legend.
    I'm hoping the style will become so popular that everyone recognises the symbols as a new standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurik
    Maybe think about different colors/shapes, arranged into categories, for example all woodmen symbols in one color or basic shape, with the same attributes for sub-categories (not sure that's making sense). Just as an example, use squares for all woodmen and circles for the other humans, filled if inhabited, outline only if vacant. Just some thoughts.
    I think a lot could be done with colour; I do have a copy of the symbol catalogue in varicolour, but haven't really played with the possibilities yet.

I think you've hit upon a good concept, though. I'd like to keep the symbol shapes consistent, but one could do each nationality/racial group in a different colour. Or, given the current example, all woodsmen dwellings in dark green, human settlements in red, humanoids in grey, and points of interest in blue (or whatever).

Good tip. Thanks, Zurik.

Cheers,
    -Erin
    Chimera RPG:

Looks good Erin. Now put a 1/4 mile hex grid on it so I can use it for Renegade Legion

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast