Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Saber

Map Port Saber

It's been a while since I've added anything to the forum so I thought I'd drop in a city map from a recent D&D campaign.

The notorious city of Saber Port is the largest settlement in the Pirate Isles, located in the northern reaches of Quindia. Formidable walls and towers protect the natural harbor that is the lifeblood of the city. Barren cliffs to the north and a wide, salt-water marsh to the south led to the unusual architecture of the city. With little room to expand, as the city's population grew, it was built up rather than out. Port Saber is a place of soaring towers, buildings that cling to the northern cliffs, and multi-level galleries. Numerous bridges and walkways connect the upper levels where pirate lords and wealthy merchants abide while in the oldest streets of the slums, sunlight never reaches the ground.

Port Saber grew from a corsair fortress to a hub of trade in an otherwise sparsely populated region. Pirate ships still find haven in the harbor of Port Saber, but merchants willing to risk these same pirates find lucrative deals (or proscribed cargo). If a ship flies the black flag of Port Saber and follows a course that leads to the city, most pirate ships will let them be by edict of the current Governor, a Bugbear named Morak the Mace. This retired buccaneer realizes the value of legitimate trade (and legal piracy in the form of taxes, tariffs, and duties). In general, the trade routes between the Shining Empire, the mainland of Quindia, and Zodanga are the more usual targets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port Saber JPG.jpg 
Views:	1245 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	8110  
    Clarence Harrison
    Quindia Studios

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice, love the compass rose!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice map. Things look a little hinky between the northern tower of the eastern wall and the higher ground the castle is on. Also, what is the significance of the white versus the red brown regions between the buildings?

Other than those quibbles, this is a lovely map. I really like the solid black walls, they stand out, as they should, against the buildings. And the compass rose is truly excellent.

The city is built in layers. The dark areas of the map represent the upper works. These areas are built above lower warrens, pierced by stairways, ramps, and cage elevators. The streets below these areas roughly follow those of the upper levels. Better areas of the lower city are well lit with lanterns, but many of these tunnels are in perpetual gloom.

The light ares of the map are main avenues, open to the sky like any other city.
    Clarence Harrison
    Quindia Studios

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Looks great... I think I just found a map for my own 'Pirate Isles' city.

I just need to mirror it and it's perfect - thanks.

what are the local populations?
    from
    EE

Local populations are mostly human like most fantasy cities, but kobolds, goblins, orcs, and the like can also be found in sizable numbers. The ruler of the city is a bugbear and so are the elite brute squads that patrol the harbor front. I had a mindflayer pirate captain who sails from Port Saber long before Pirates of the Caribbean ever came out (my campaign is almost thirty years old - only the map is new). Pretty much anything goes in Port Saber!
    Clarence Harrison
    Quindia Studios

A very nice map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast