View Poll Results: Please vote for 5 entries.

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien Evidence - ravells

13 26.53%
  • Alien space station. - joão paulo

1 2.04%
  • Centauran ConFederation - Malakor

1 2.04%
  • Crow Nebula - rkmase

2 4.08%
  • Dont Panic ! - Redrobes

12 24.49%
  • Frontier Space - NeonKnight

9 18.37%
  • Galactic Planetary Directory: Khuutath - Steel General

16 32.65%
  • GRX593 - Kalpana - Valarian

7 14.29%
  • Guide to the Galaxy - bryguy

2 4.08%
  • Hyper-Space Curve Calculator - Korrigan

5 10.20%
  • Icarus Starlane - Gamerprinter

8 16.33%
  • Idiots Guide to the Solar System - Ascension

23 46.94%
  • Karnorthe - Antony

3 6.12%
  • Less Than Twelve Parsecs - tcberry

1 2.04%
  • Map Vandal - Map Vandal

14 28.57%
  • Monthly Asteroid Party - Sagenlicht

2 4.08%
  • Neurosector 5 - industrygothica

1 2.04%
  • Not So Lonely Planet Map - Zanza

11 22.45%
  • Pocketwatch - Darken

22 44.90%
  • Sparre Leg, Brendle Galaxy - Bohunk

20 40.82%
  • System Map - mmmmmpig

27 55.10%
  • The Borean Cluster - cereth

3 6.12%
  • The Great Expedition - jfrazierjr

1 2.04%
  • Universe Super clusters - MGCJerry

2 4.08%
  • Zyrcine Cluster - nolgroth

15 30.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ***November Challenge Voting***

Post ***November Challenge Voting***

VOTE FOR 5 ENTRIES!!!

I almost forgot to add - Make sure to give the entrants you voted for some rep!

The challenge was:
    Lost in Space

Whether you are "Lost in Space", "Pigs in Space", or colonizing the "Spore Universe", what the intrepid space farer really needs is a decent map.

Stealing Gameprinter's words, the challenge this month is to create an orbital map, star-system map or even a quadrant map. A map as large as an entire galaxy, or the immediate environment surrounding a planet or star system.

Not just any old political map... this is intended to be a traveler's map (not a Traveller map) to aid in "getting there", where ever there may be.

Sharpen up your lightstylus, put a fresh coat of paint on the Tardis, and prepare to beam up...

Entries should be in by no later than November 25, 2008.

Good Luck!!
    Thumbnail page is here.
    General Rules are here.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 11-26-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wow... this was an incredibly difficult vote this month. I actually had to really focus on the challenge rules and had to look at entries a few times to narrow down my choices. Well done everyone!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Voting done

Once again a nice challenge with alot of nice entries.

My 5 votes did got to and why:

• SG - I can so imagine seeing his entry in a sci-fi movie or game. When I first saw it I thought wow
    • Ascension - as well a nice 'screenshot' entry.
    • GP - I like his approach of the challenge and as always its done nicely
    • ravells - Somehow this is the way a Stargate could look like. Nice idea and nicely done
    • Bohuk - My 5th vote did go to Bohuk, because there are quite a few entries with a similar idea and his one looks the most 'technically' to me.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Super tough vote this month, that's for sure. I went for:

mmmmpig: The clean lines, retro feel and lovely composition. Couldn't pass this one up.
    Bohunk: His map looks like a cascading waterfall and the text labelling became an integral part of the design - beautiful colours too.
    Map Vandal: Clean lines and great arcs - I really liked the simplicity of the map and the complex equations to give it that tecchy feel.
    Steel General: This was a great 'information display' map. Lots of information set out in a logical and attractive way.
    Darken: I really liked the originality of the idea and the glowing 3d projection.

There were so many others that I was on the verge of voting for (too numerous to mention). My prediction is that this month really could end up in a draw.

Great work everyone!!

Wow.... just plain wow

so many entries that I wanted to vote for, but I only had 5 to choose from.

The competition is getting tight in this here forum. I agree with Ravells, this one could easily be a three way draw. This challenge compass could pretty much go to anyone.

I will have C&C for all the maps later this week, I will be dealing with extended fam for the near future
    Something witty and pithy

Thumbnails:
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /Temp/CG/ChallengeTN/Challengers_Nov08.htm on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.viewing.ltd.uk Port 80
    ˙ƃuıuɹoɯ sıɥʇ sǝunɹ ǝʌısoldxǝ pǝɹɐdǝɹd ı

Guild Member

I have to agree with everyone... some awesome and really creative maps this month. Space is not my fortay, but I enjoyed getting some good practice in with 3DS max. Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions!

For me, these decisions really came down to deciphering the map's intention... to quote the rules: "this is intended to be a traveler's map ... to aid in 'getting there' ". Here are my choices:

Korrigan: Love the idea, artistically pleasing and well planned. Really fit the bill nicely.
    Zanza: Again, loved it. Google maps for space... who knew! Attention to deal was great.
    mmmmmpig: great artistic style. Clean, but with that rustic, hand made look.
    cereth: I'm probably a little biased on this one, but I love the hex maps... reminds me of Battletech. Would have been perfect if you toned down the white-wash a bit.
    Ascension: I think it could have been better in terms of aiding in navigation (like outlining a travel path), but I think a valid argument is that the information provided would facilitate navigation. Great style, awesome graphics.

Everyone shall be duly repped!

Great entries everyone! Looking forward to seeing you next month!

[EDIT] Oh, and I find it awfully ironic that we had that long talk about my map's brightness with a name like Darken!
    Last edited by Darken; 11-26-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very difficult voting for the most part, a couple were fairly easy choices - mostly for their originality. As to the rest I honestly couldn't decide so I had a coin-flip playoff.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Normally I vote according to the aesthetic beauty of a map or the originality of a map but this time I decided to vote according to my own (admittedly arbitrary) estimation of how well the entry fit the criteria. Had I voted for beauty/originality, as I usually do, my votes would be totally different and that's what makes this challenge so hard to judge. Also, if I were voting for the aesthetics I'd have to choose 10 or 12 and hence I fell back on the criteria to try to limit my choices. Great job everyone! Even though many of us know diddly about sci-fi stuff it's nice to see that we can take our skillset and apply it to different genres. I think the winner is the challenge itself.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast