Thread: Israh Tutorial Incise-Flow Breakthrough?

Tutorial Israh Tutorial Incise-Flow Breakthrough?

So I've seen lots of threads about the famed Genesis of Israh tutorial and the incise flow steps not working. I've seen the problems with it not working myself. After a lot of fiddling around and starting over, I think I figured it out.

1) The order of the incise flow parameters is not reversed. They are just fine.

2) You need to make sure you have high enough mountain ranges for this to work. Working with his parameters of @16k m for the highest peaks is fine. Don't go any lower.

2) Fractal Terrains 3 loses some of the world settings each time you open the file. One of them is the Editing Size. This must be put back to 4096 in order for the incise flows to work properly. Every time you open your file.

If you do these things, the incise flows will work properly. The results will obviously vary somewhat depending on the exact seed, and you will get a lot of lakes. But your mountains won't get flattened.
    Last edited by Wil; 08-24-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added links

So it looks like the later incise flow steps are much too aggressive for my world. It wipes out the lower elevations.

For this step:
    Incise Flow: 2200 to 3500, Feather 1, Tools >> Actions >> Incise Flow >> 3 / 0.2 / 0.7 / 1

I had to go with .25/.1/.35/.5

All others I was able to pull off without modifying the values.

Also, the file opens fine in Wilbur if saved as Wilbur MDR and not Special

What version of FT are you using? The 3.0.20 update came out today, I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    What version of FT are you using? The 3.0.20 update came out today, I am told.

I just discovered that I had Wilbur 1.83. Using 1.84 solved a lot of my problems opening large mdrs. I still have problems on my laptop, which I think may be the internal graphics card (both have 16GB RAM). Also might be available memory, since this laptop is used for work and often has SQL Server, Visual Studio, etc. running at the same time.

Updating to 3.0.20 gives me an mfc140.dll missing error. Which is what I got yesterday with Wilbur 1.8, so I installed the VS2015 C++ redist as recommended. Grrr....

EDIT: nvm, full uninstall and reinstall fixed it.

@Waldronate, do you think I should retry the tutorial on 3.0.20? I actually ran into some issues after I exported to Wilbur with the mountain ranges being very blobby, even though it looked as if in FT3 it was going well.
    Last edited by Wil; 08-24-2016 at 04:41 PM.

There could be any number of reasons why things didn't look quite right. FT 3.0.20 should fix a number of things, but I'm not sure that they would affect the FT3<->Wilbur interchange.