Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 4e Realms map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map A 4e Realms map

This is my first try at a 4e map. Even though I'm not a big fan of 4th Edition Realms, I decided that I would try my hand at improving the map for Laerakond (Returned Abeir) for the 4e players. FR fans have beautiful older maps to use for the rest of the Realms, but this region was created specifically for 4e, so there are no 'oldies but goodies' to use.

As usual, I did it in my 'FR style'. It was also supposed to ba an exclusive for CK, but they were taking too long posting it and I was really 'getting antzy', so here it is -

http://markustay.deviantart.com/art/...beir-104756203

It was too large to add a thumbnail.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 11-27-2008 at 11:31 AM.

A very nice map.

Kuudos!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Beautiful map. How do you replicate the style of the 3.5 FR maps so closely? Do you use the patterns from the original maps with the clone tool or do you create the patterns and styles from scratch?

I created my own set of patterns lifted from the official 3rd edition map. Some things were simple, like the plains and grasslands, while others were somewhat harder, like swamps and moors, and some were a nightmare, like Mountains and cliffs - both of which I still have to do a lot hand-drawing with.

Thats why a good deal of the mountain terrain was borrowed from the original maps, and resized, twisted, turned, mirrored, stretched, etc, etc... to make them look like my own.

I hate doing mountains, because they are VERY time consuming. I can draw my own and I've gotten to the point where they're nearly identical to the official maps, but whenever I can lift a pre-made one and change it up I do so.

As for the icons, I created my own custom set of vector graphics for that.

That Compass-rose was from the 3e maps that appeared in the 3e FRCS book (it appeared on no others), and I always liked it, so I used it. I normally don't put the disclaimer on the maps like I did that one, but since I used a piece of WotC art (the compass-rose), I thought I should. All my FR maps are considered property of Wizards of the Coast and I make no claims to any of the art or Intellectual properties contained therein.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Very nice map! I love the style and execution, but i would watch the harshness of the type, try to soften it up on tis one or your next one, keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    Very nice map! I love the style and execution, but i would watch the harshness of the type, try to soften it up on tis one or your next one, keep up the good work
    Not sure what you mean.

Suggestions, maybe? I noticed someone else made their country-names semi-transparent, and I was going to play with that. Other then that, I really don't like moving away from the TNR Font for locales, because its the easiest to read. Pretty fonts are all well and good, but I try to steer clear of them except for the larger stuff. Since the map is made for gaming I favor ledgibility over aesthetics in that regard.

Unless thats not what you are referring to. For the longest time I've been working hard at exactly duplicating the 3e FR style, but now I'm starting to think its may be possible (for me) to actually improve on it a little.

You guys have any suggestions regarding the best Fonts to use for maps? Is there a thread here somewhere on that topic?

Thanks for the input - Mark

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like it came right out of a WOTC product, nice job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I really like this map style, and this map is fantastic!! Congratulazions, it looks like a real map made by Wizard...

The land style is beautiful.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Nice maps here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast