Thread: [WIP] Green Moon Geology Map

Wip [WIP] Green Moon Geology Map

Oilà!
    Finally my fist attempt to show something! (sorry for the bad english, as usual)
    I'm working on this world (earthlike, built with tectonic software as a base and lot of guessing and artistic license) the name actually isn't the name of the world, but of the project; i'm planning to do some conlang so the actual name of the world will come later, i hope!
    I'm trying to build a geological map of the world, as a base for the placement of the mountain ranges and to be more realistic possible in the shaping of the continents. (Coasts, lakes and islands are still in "unrefined" state, so i gonna detail them soon)
    I've used this as a base, for the colours and symbols, and to see if something is actually possible on earth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeolMonde3.1_2014_imageLR.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	124157

I almost finished the easy part: oceans! Some correction is due here and there; but i don't think i'm gonna change much.
    Next step: placement of Shields, Platforms, Basins and Orogeny, to define more precisely where i will place the single patch of rock types.

Comments, advice, criticism (have pity ) are welcomed!

Name:	Prova Geologia.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	124158
    Last edited by Michi il Disperso; 07-29-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Guild Journeyer

I like it! You put the tectonic fault in a nice way .
    Don't forget to put an explanation for the colors ;-)
    Last edited by Bindusara; 07-30-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Thank you! Actually the software laid the boundaries, i just bent and shaped them in a way i liked more

Quote Originally Posted by Bindusara View Post
    Don't forget to put an explanation for the colors ;-)
    Yep, i used the same (almost) color code of the geological map i took as example, but in the final map i surely put a nice legend!

Guild Journeyer

which software did you use for the geological boundaries?

I used this https://davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/ it has many features and the code is really rich, still in developement, maybe one day could do all the geology by itself!

Guild Journeyer

ok, i thought that you found another software that made the first steps for geological grounds. In that case i have to say that it's event more impressive! Well done!

I think the intent of the developer was that... as for the current version, it give the crust age, thickness, density, main fault lines, subduction zone, and if you pay attention to the changing of the plates during the simulation you can harvest a lot of information! But, yes, most of my line are guesses XD

Thank you!

Oh! Long time since last update...
    I was kinda stuck with all the DEM thing to do realistic heightmap, and still i am in fact, but i realize that i'm not going to do that; with two little demon to take care of, a crappy pc and tons of work to do it is simply impossible.. So let's see if we can just skip that and go on..
    I have almost finished the Geological map, some correction needed, colour codes, and then it will be ready. Not quite perfect as i wanted, but i have not enough time to refine that more, and i need it only for define better the morphology of the various places so let's move on!
    Next i think i'm gonna correct a bit the coast shape of the lands near the poles, that suffer from projection distortion and need some fixing.
    When i feel good about that i think i will do rivers, check if climate is still good, and then start with civilization (wich i already begun honestly)...

We'll see soon.. i hope!

Name:	Geological Map.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	5.87 MB 
ID:	129770
    Last edited by Michi il Disperso; 05-13-2021 at 04:51 PM.