Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Island of Misfit Toys

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip The Island of Misfit Toys

I started this one mainly for myself because it's one of my favorite "make believe" places and I wanted to put some of my own thoughts down in map form. I always felt like there was a cottage somewhere on this island just waiting for me and I thought I ought to do it some justice. This is nowhere near done as it's still in the "thinking my way through it" stage but the preliminary brainstorming is done and I'm likely to incorporate some techniques from my Charedon map. Besides, I just wanted to do something really fun and get a jump on the spreading of cheer

This one will evolve over the next month as I watch the tv specials and see if I need to incorporate some of the things in them...like Baby New Year, Frosty, Jack Frost, and the Grinch, etc. Mainly I'd like to get my hands on some clipart of the Christmas trees, I'd love to have those as my forests. Also, I gotta take some pics of my Santa doll that my nieces bought me (the one from Rudolph) and put him in there somewhere because no one likes a skinny Santa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toys1.jpg 
Views:	3952 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	8121  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

That's my advent calendar sorted for this year

Seriously, that's really cool. Did you have a colored font or is it a mask layer of stripes with text controlling the visibility ?

The font for the title is pretty cool too.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.

It's all layer styles but the important one is a red/white diagonal pattern overlay and a smooth bevel to give it some roundness. Gotta do something with a glow to make the text pop a bit more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea and well executed (as usual).

Maybe you should've mapped Thanksgiving Turkey Heaven first
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hadn't thought about something like that. I did put in a place for the pardoned turkeys that the pres pardons.

"Land of List Keeping"

Love it...great job and great idea!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Thats so weird it's cool.

Love that Font trick - gonna have to play with mine now.

What font was used for the title, BTW?

The font is called "Island of Misfit Toys" or something similar to that...I got it from dafont.com

LOL - VERY appropriate Font, then.

Did you find that Font first and get your idea, or did you go looking for something and happen upon it?
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 11-29-2008 at 11:04 AM.

I had it on the hard drive for years. I have always wanted to do the Island so I went looking for a font years ago. When I did the text on Charedon it hit me to dig out the font and use candy canes...and viola...I finally had motivation.

Got me some stills from Rudolph so I'm working on importing them...got the Christmas trees but need the regular fir trees, got the characters too. I might try to model them up in SketchUp but it would be better done in Poser, which I don't have so I'm unsure about that bit. If I knew how to use any sort of 3d program I'd render up the whole thing and put it in a snow globe...will have to wait on that.

Anyway, here's a small update: spent the whole day redoing the text, added a few more areas, and put some snow in (going to put snow on top of the candy canes tomorrow and maybe icicles).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toys1.jpg 
Views:	897 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	8124  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast