Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: District of Milhet | by novaTOPO

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Clean, crisp and very beautiful. A really professional product - super work, Ruedy. Tell me, how do you decide where to put the shadows on the mountains? I expect that the shadows are independent shapes?
    Oh, at first I create the relief with photoshop. Then I put it into a layer in Inkscape and construct the colored hight-lines in form of the relief.
    The shadows are not vector-shapes. You could transform them into vector schapes, but even Inscape is current not powerfull enough, to do that with good quality.

As beautiful as the map is, you've hit one of my pet peeves: foreign characters used as though they were Roman characters. I don't know much Greek, but I know you're using sigmas where you should be using epsilons. All of your 'E's say 'S' to me, and there's no pi in Dionysus (though I understand that he does like pie), to say nothing of the psi right next to it.

Ahem... As I said, a pet peeve. I really like what you've done with the left-side border, and the bull in the upper right is also a nice touch.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Oh yes, I know what you mean.
    But there is no greek speech and typography in Dionysos. It´s a german-speeched micronation with parts of greek culture.
    The interaction is in german und nobody would be have the desire to write and comunicate in greek print characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    Oh, at first I create the relief with photoshop. Then I put it into a layer in Inkscape and construct the colored hight-lines in form of the relief.
    The shadows are not vector-shapes. You could transform them into vector schapes, but even Inscape is current not powerfull enough, to do that with good quality.
    Interesting! How do you create the relief in photoshop?

Very inspiring, wonderfully original! Wow!

Interesting! How do you create the relief in photoshop?
    Ohje, i will try describe it.

Create ten or fourteen altitude stages in inkscape(b / w, with the lowest black, white represents the highest point), Gaussian Blur, on Alpha channel expose, which already has one shadow. Shadow-level color level set, mode: Multiply, opacity adjust. Some things, such as rivers, but you have to manually refine.
    At last I do the fine parts in a new layer with sharp tool in black contrasts, then negative-multiplication (Screen) an set Layer Style to Bevel and Emboss.

I can see what you are saying, but I can't see where in the process the contour altitudes turn into mountain shadows which do not follow the contours, particularly if you don't use the render / light filter. Is there any chance you could post a sample .ps file of a simple mountain range - I'd really like to see how this is done as I rely on Fractal Terrains if I want that sort of mountain shadow and I'd love to do it all within PS.

I can see what you are saying, but I can't see where in the process the contour altitudes turn into mountain shadows which do not follow the contours, particularly if you don't use the render / light filter. Is there any chance you could post a sample .ps file of a simple mountain range - I'd really like to see how this is done as I rely on Fractal Terrains if I want that sort of mountain shadow and I'd love to do it all within PS.
    Sure, in the next days I will create an example and send it per PM.
    Perhaps there is a mistake in my Desciption.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12