Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Illustrator] Airship

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [Illustrator] Airship

It's been a while since I've posted a map, so when my Digital Illustration class called for a freestyle image, I jumped at the chance to create something appropriate to post here.

This was only a one-week project, and we were supposed to keep it relatively simple. So it's fairly rudimentary linework with very little shading. If I find the time later, my plan is to add more detail, turn it into a sales flyer, and add a fancy Victorian border. For now, this is what it is, unless somebody gives me a terrific suggestion that won't take too long to implement.

The final image I turn in will have a textured paper background, but that increases the file size of the png tenfold, so I left it out of this image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	081129_airship.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	8127  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks quite nice to me, looking forward to seeing the more detailed version.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice airship! Speaking of Victorian border, you might want to check out this site:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/scroll-work-Victorian-designs
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Thanks for the link. I've actually got an entire book full of Victorian-style ornament designs, which unfortunately do not tile properly. That's going to have to wait a while, though, as I've got lots of other projects on my plate at the moment. Still, I'm almost certain to revisit this because I think I'm going to refine it for some of my 3d projects later on--I've actually already written an abstract for a possible TV series (not that I expect I'll actually be able to make such a series, but it'll sure look nice in my portfolio if I develop it some more).

Anyway, here's the sales flyer version. At my wife's suggestion, I changed the background, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	081129_airship.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	8265  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice! (and probably bonus points for instituting your wife's suggestion ) *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The main lines were simply the pen tool, as was the webbing--I'm not sure I really succeeded in showing the tension on the webbing as it went over the curved surface of the envelope. The netting at the top is just a crosshatch pattern fill.

Again, thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I'll continue getting projects that lend themselves to cartography. I should probably be careful not to pigeonhole myself too much, though, or the only job I'll be able to get upon graduation is as an expansimator for National Geographic's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    the only job I'll be able to get upon graduation is as an expansimator for National Geographic's website.
    **ROFL**

Like to see that on a resume

-Rob A>

Some cool maps and ideas here. Thanks everyone.

I love it!

I got a good laugh when I read the flyer, that's just good stuff. I too noticed the webbing and how it bit into the balloon.

Thanks!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast