Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps from another world.

Guild Novice

Post Maps from another world.

These are maps I made for a timeline project. Essentially the premise is that in our future time travel and teleportation are invented, but the technologies are so dangerous (especcially time travel) that an organisation is created and is recognised worldwide as the sole regulator and protector of these technologies. Neither technology sees any sort of commerical use.

Later, it becomes possible to teleport not only across space and time, but also into other universes. These other universes are not fundamentally different from our own, there's no magic and the Earth is dominated by humans (apart from worlds where Earth is uninhabitable). The difference between each universe is history. At various points in time each world saw slight changes in its history that would later have greater repurcussions for their world, rendering the history of humans on these worlds to be different from our own.

The organisation created to regulate teleportation and time travel technology takes over the regulation of this technology too. Soon, researching this cross-world teleportation technology becomes their primary objective, and they change their name to reflect their current activities. They are now known as the "Institute for the Study of Other Timelines", or ISOT, though they're more commonly refered to as "the Institute".

The Institute's objective is to investigate other worlds and other histories, so that we may learn more about our own history.

At present the 181st timeline discovered by the Institute (known simply as "TL-181") is under going a great deal of investigation. The point at which it diverged from our own history is not known, but it is believed to be between 1100 and 1200. The result is a world not entirely different from our own, but one with distinct differences.

Some of these maps are taken from TL-181 itself, others were made by the Institute to facilitate its research.

There are some maps that are from Tl-181 that I haven't posted here that are on my DeviantArt account ( http://kurarun.deviantart.com/ ). I won't post them here as they were not made using vectors, and so aren't of a very good quality in my opinion.

Here are the three maps I have made for this world so far (that use vectors):

Map 1 - An ISOT textbook page.

This map is from a page in a textbook made by the Institute concerning the history of East Asia in TL-181. The map itself shows the sub-divisions of the Federal Empire of Chugoku, a post-colonial nation that united in times of economic trouble and fear of invasion. United they are now the power in Asia and are quickly industrialising, their progress spurred onwards by post-industrial Europe's ever increasing demands for more imports.

Map 2 - A map of North America (called North Carolina).

A map of North Carolina long after the Spanish colonies on the continent declared independence and other European nations started moving in to take Spain's place, made by the Hamburg Printing Company (considered a reputable and accurate source by the Institute). Germany has gained a foothold on the continent, but Britain is the undisputed master of North Carolina (or at least, it was at the time).

Map 3 - A map of South and Southeast Asia.

Again made by the Hamburg Printing Company, this map demonstrates Germany's and Britain's success in this region. Britain was previously the dominant power in the Indian Ocean, but after the Second Anglo-French War France and Germany have managed to curb Britain's power considerably in the region, to the point where Germany is more often considered India's master than Britain is. France has more than a trifling presence in the region, but their true assets lie elsewhere.

Tell me what you think, comments and criticisms are welcome. I'll update this thread with new maps from TL-181 as I make them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chugoku book dot net png.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	8129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NA 3 blank dot net png.png 
Views:	339 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	8130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South asia outline2 dot net png.png 
Views:	485 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	8131  

wow! Kuraru continues with his great project.

Great work!

Is it intended to use a abnormal form for the Flag of the German Empire?
    I think you know that the original form of the flag is "black-white-red" from top to bottom.

The flag of the German department of protectorates (Reichskolonialamt):

The mostly form of flags for German Protactorates:

At the Protactorate-flags normaly it was arranged to use a coat of arm of the protactorate at the place where ist the eagle in my example.
    To use the main-flag at the jack is very britsh, but not the german style (beside in war-flags). *g*

It“s simply a friendly advice.
    Last edited by Ruedy; 11-29-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by joćo paulo View Post
    wow! Kuraru continues with his great project.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Convincing and really beautiful work. I take my hat off to you!

(and I shall probably steal your style)
    Thank you both!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    Great work!

Is it intended to use a abnormal form for the Flag of the German Empire?
    I think you know that the original form of the flag is "black-white-red" from top to bottom.

The flag of the German department of protectorates (Reichskolonialamt):

The mostly form of flags for German Protactorates:
    The flag I made to use for the United Kingdom of the German Nation (as it is officially known as in this world) looks rather similar to those you posted. I've attached an image of the flag to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedy View Post
    At the Protactorate-flags normaly it was arranged to use a coat of arm of the protactorate at the place where ist the eagle in my example.
    To use the main-flag at the jack is very britsh, but not the german style (beside in war-flags). *g*

It“s simply a friendly advice.
    I expected as such, since the only place I've ever seen that style used is on British colonial flags.

Britain is meant to be more tied with Europe in this world that it is in our timeline, so its influence may mean that other nations, including Germany, adopt their style of colonial flags.

Name:	Das Vereinigte Königreich Deutscher Nation.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	8146  

Wowsers!!!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraru View Post
    Thank you both!
    Britain is meant to be more tied with Europe in this world that it is in our timeline, so its influence may mean that other nations, including Germany, adopt their style of colonial flags.
    Ok, it“s a fictionall project, so everything is possible.
    If it is desirable, I could help with translation for possibly german text-parts.

I'm a BIG fan of alternate-Earth scenarios, and that is freakin' awesome!

I have an old writing project of my own (that will probably never see fruition) about alternate history, and this just makes me want to get back to that.

Thank you for that --- Mark.

I'm also a fan of alternate timelines (I'm a huge H Beam Piper Paratime fan). Great maps! Well done.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Novice

I've been working on this map for a couple of weeks, and I've finally gotten it finished on Christmas Eve. I hope you all like it!

This map shows Germany's colonies in Mesocarolina (The Americas are called Carolina in this world, "Meso" just means "Middle" or "Central", so it's central America) and has some information on the demographics of the area. As in our timeline, almost all the native population has been wiped out. As it was Spain (in personal union with Portugal) that first found and colonised the Americas in this world, all of the colonies have hispanic majorities. Germany gained their various colonies through various means across the last two hundred years or so, leading to some colonies having far higher German populations than others.

Whilst it would appear that Germany is the dominant force in the Carribean, Britain has significant holdings in South Carolina (South America) and currently controls the Panama canal (built in 1878 in this timeline). Whilst there have been several proposals to construct a competing canal across Ometepea, no one has been able to find the support and funds to begin such a project, and Britain has inevitably done their best to prevent such an occurance.

Name:	German Central Americainkedup#dotnetpng.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	8662  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast