Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Araktha - City in the woods. WIP needs critique.

Gandwarf - Thank you for the kind and informative comments.. I have thought long and hard on the population of the area and decided to stick with the numbers I have, I know the buildings seem very well placed and all, but I decided to do that based on the Ogre Cheiftan in charge of things. Everyone had to band togather during this current war thats going on, but you put it correctly when you say that some guys dont live well with others..

I have decided to clean up the buildings due to the middle to upper clarity of the rest.. at least it is clear to me..

I am also trying to find a way to color the buildings and make them look more or less hodgpodge..

Update soon!
    Terry

Map Update

Ok here is that update i promised Tell me what you think! Still trying to get a decent muddy shoreline..

I also added some colors to the buildings.. really makes them stand out and hopefully makes them look more hodge-podge kinda slapped together with whatever was available!

I smoothed the shoreline and am currently trying to get a muddy one together.. Im not happy with anything Ive made so far when it comes to that, so instead of keeping you waiting lol.. Ill send you the progress now.

Thanks
    Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Araktha.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	8153  

I like the fact the buildings have different colored roofs. This is definitely an improvement. Although I would expect the roofs to have some more natural looking colors, like greys, browns and greens. Materials the residents would have found nearby.

Some of the roofs look purple, what did they use to build that?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

True.. very true.. I guess I was imagining various tapestries..

Still working..

Thank you Gandwarf

Terry

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with Gandwarf, looks like you used some kind of rainbow coloring on the roof's of the buildings. Other than that (and it's not a huge deal), this is shaping up nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Brighter colors, like purple, can be used on tents of course. But the shape of the structures on your map suggest buildings, rather than tents.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ive got you guys..

I have currently revamped the buildings and am almost done with the shoreline. after that im golden for the labels and will call this one done.

Thanks for all your help.

Oh if you happen to read this.. what you you think of the roads specifically. I was going for a dirt trail of sorts.

Thanks
    Terry

Map Araktha of Trefso-Peed

Done!

I found some things as a finished this that added the last touches to make it a forest..

Before I had a white foam along the river that was throwing everything off. And making it hard for me to believe it was a forest.

I switched the white river foam for some greener moss algae colors and that really brought out my muddy riverbanks and made it more of a forest slow moving river.

I swithced my house colors for a pallet of browns and that turned out nicely.

I also changed my grass texture for a darker one and cleaned up my roads.

If anything, I may yet change my roads for a more grey-scale version to give the look of gravel.

But otherwise im calling this one done for now.

I still have 8 or 9 city maps to make to finish my regional map. I know I could spend a few more weeks if I wanted to on this one and in the end it will come to deciding on some other colors.

I made the lettering like I did because the whole synapse of the story is its wartime, so I wanted something burning-ish.

Otherwise.... what do you think?

Peace
    Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Araktha2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	8160  

It has turned out quite well. Well Done
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The brown huts look much better and the river banks look good as well. Two things that I might do (though you, certainly, don't have to) would be to add some sort of outer glow to the roads...light tan for a dusty look or medium brown for a muddy and sunken look; and the green trees are a bit bright (IMO) so I'd mute them a bit by adding a bit of brown/tan to the green for deciduous trees or black/blue for conifers. Like I said, just two things I would do, you certainly have your own style and the map looks great anyway.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast