Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Araktha - City in the woods. WIP needs critique.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Araktha - City in the woods. DONE! CHK pg2

This area is actually from the larger regional map from previous posts.

It is called Araktha and is home to various woodland species of intelligent humaniods. Some Humans, Bugbears, Trogs, Ogres, and a few others.

Araktha is a refugee camp of sorts. After the Anointed pretty much killed and drove everyone off, Araktha was setup on a whim and has been sprung up from just about out of nowhere in a very short time in the deep woods of Trefso-Peed.

There are around 500 - 1000 residents at any given time crammed together in the few houses inside and outside of the town.

Without further a due.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Araktha.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	8135  
    Last edited by Nickadimos; 12-03-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good but there are 2 things, I think, that could take it further. The black/white rocky bits need some gray and some shadows as they really stand out and the rivers need river banks...something sandy or muddy. It's a nice map, don't get me wrong, since I will be snaggin it for my collection BTW it's ado not a due.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

a due / ado - damn spell checker LOL thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I want to add some color to the rocks still and I totally agree on the shadows.

I want to add a riverbank too, it will probably be a darker mud to go with the rich soil of the forest and some labels still.

Your snaggin it? Cool i think! LOL

What do you think of the large manorhouse?

Terry

I like it!
    At first I thought the map was too pixelated (?), but I am enjoying it now. The bridge is well done.

The only thing that is still bugging me is the fact that all the houses (or tents?) have the same roof. For a refugee camp I would expect different structures. Some tents (different colors?) some shacks and houses made of wood. This almost looks like an army camp.

So who lives in the manor house?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

Actually, given medieval style living, 500-1000 really isn't all that cramped for the number of buildings you have there, unless they're really small.

Personally, if these are people who have just run from a war, one of the first things I would have expected to be done is a simple palisade around the island, then the first 'houses' build up against it, and a far, far denser housing on the island itself.

I like the buildings, how did you draw them? Generator, or did you do each one manually?

The buildings are not 'defined' enough. The rocks is so crisp, and this jars with the buildings which are not.

otherwise very nice
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

AWESOME POINT about the houses/tents (maybe they should be tents, it would give more opportunity to add more colors) having the same rooftop.. they totally need to have different colors to make it look more shoddy built on the fly sort of place..

I know you said your enjoying it now... But what was pixelated about it?

The manorhouse used to be a royal families (The Enorian family) summer cottage, but after the Anointed killed off almost all royalty and those with privledge, it has been turned into a makeshift barracks where an Ogre Cheiftain named Shamshurc Strousmon maintains the security and training of those that are able to fight. You can generally hear him yelling and screaming a some poor Militiaman due some lack of an ability the ogre thinks he or she should have. They erected a simple wall to either funnel enemies around or through the middle of the now Fort Enorian. (im thinking about adding 2 walls that go to the banks of the river for totally force everyone to go through the manor grounds)

The buildings were done with RobAs building brush.

There are 130 houses and the manorhouse. You think 500 - 1000 is a low amount? Maybe your right....

NeonKnight - you think I should blur up the rocks or or crisp up the buildings?

Thanks for your comments so far peeps!

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Nickadimos View Post
    There are 130 houses and the manorhouse. You think 500 - 1000 is a low amount? Maybe your right....
    It's your map of course and you set the rules.
    But from a medieval point of view 130 houses is a lot. Families used to be very large with several generations living together. Also, refugees tend to live packed together and then 500-1000 people living in 130 houses doesn't sound like much.

But as I said, you set the rules. Maybe some of the races don't want to shack together and people will have lost their family.

As for it being "pixelated"... it's not really the right word I think. At first I thought it had a low resolution, but after about 30 seconds I really started to like it. The map could be more "crisp" so to speak, but this is a style on its own.

Anyway, I would love to see more of your stuff, especially cities. I am a sucker for cities! Your map already inspired me to do some more maps myself.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickadimos View Post

NeonKnight - you think I should blur up the rocks or or crisp up the buildings?

Thanks for your comments so far peeps!

Terry
    Either/or. If the buildings will be less defined then the same goes for the rest of the map. If on the other hand the terrain is going to be crisp, then so does the Features.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast