Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For our BT game!

What tools are you using again?

Post I'm the Xara Xtreme guru!

The primary application I use to create maps, I am pretty much alone in using. I got Del to try it, though. It is Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 which costs around $250. There is a light version that will do everything you need to create the same type of maps for only $70 - but its not free software.

Although good for only a short time, you can download either version as a fully functional trial (lite is 14 day trial, full is 30 day trial) so you could try out my tutorials, create and save the map for your permanent use ... then buy the app, if you like it.

I have a couple tutorials here using Xara for creating maps...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2432

This is probably the tut that will help you most in understanding how to create those kinds of mountains in the first map.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Huh, looked up the site. I thought they were owned by Corel. (Heh, guess I assume anything non-Adobe got bought by Corel).

edit: besides having two editing modes in one package, what are the advantages over Iillustrator/Photoshop?

Or CorelDraw/Photopaint...
    Last edited by Bedwyr; 12-03-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Post All kinds of reasons...

There are all kinds of reasons to try out Xara Xtreme - its inexpensive, very easy to use, very fast. Applying functions, saving files is fast - much faster than Adobe products. Its so easy to use my Grandma could figure it out in an afternoon and she's computer illiterate. Its so powerful and feature rich, I can do anything with it.

Ravs has compared it to Serif Drawplus, yet that app's bevel function is not nearly as robust as Xara.

Xara was owned by Corel for a short time, they bought it back, now some German company bought them.

Best advice is to download the trial version and play with it. Try out my tutorials so you have direction to go and decide for yourself.

GP

PS: other apps I use - Izware Nendo (for 3d modeling), Raydream/Carrara/Cinema 4D (3D apps), PD Particles (paint app great for trees and plants), Photoshop/GIMP (when I have to enhance or alter a raster image.)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-03-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Regarding Xara's speed...

That pit map was completely generated in Xara Xtreme. From start to upload online that map took me 1.5 hours to create.

The second map has some 3D elements which took abit longer to create - lunar surface 10 minutes in Raydream Studio (3D), and the space colony about half hour - but once those parts were created the rest of that map took me 15 minutes to create in Xara.

Xara is just so fast and easy, I can't promote that application enough!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

...and let us not forget that GP develops maps like a rabbit on amphetamines!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post

Ravs has compared it to Serif Drawplus, yet that app's bevel function is not nearly as robust as Xara.
    I found out that many of the developers of Drawplus are ex-Xara people. Not having used Xara, I can't really compare the two but what I've read on the features the real killer advantages to Xara are the superior bevel that GP mentioned and the ability to use photoshop filters. I've been plaguing the Drawplus forums to get the photoshop filters introduced in the next version.

Post Map 3: Battletech series

Ok, this is the first of a two-part map... the Desert Canyon Base. Notice the metal doors at the end of the canyon road, at canyon's end, these lead to an underground mech bunker with motorpool, repair facility and living quarters for this secret Clan base.

The second part of this map (which I'll work on next) is roughly a quarter of the dimensions of this map and will represent the underground complex itself.

I've discovered my hex sizes were off on the previous two maps, I created 1 inch "flat to flat" hexes, when they should have been 1.3 inches, so this map's hexes are correct.

As soon as I complete the overlay map, I will post this on my Ecommerce site, I've already posted the other two. Trying to create inventory as I go!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desert-base.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	8242  
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    GP-

I must say I think you have nailed a style that works perfectly with the BT game mechanics.

-Rob A>
    When I first starting using that style about a year ago, I wasn't sure where I would apply that technique. I think you are right, it works very naturally for Battletech. Nice to put the technique to good use! Thanks, RobA!

Ok, I know I said, I'd be making the bunker portion of that Desert Canyon Base map, and I will, tonight or tomorrow - but, working off my December Challenge Map I created a top down, changed Seagaard to a River Crossing Fortress, and that water texture seems to work better as a raging river than ocean. (So I'm thinking of changing my December Challenge map to River site, rather than an ocean assault - haven't decided yet.)

I plan to make at least 12 maps or should I say, 12.25 maps for that overlay piece I have yet to make. Just to make the BT Map subcategory in my website not seem so empty.

Anyway, next installment in my BT map series: the Crossing Guard.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guardian-at-the-ford.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	8272  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast