Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For our BT game!

Post For our BT game!

Although BT is definitely Sci-Fi, I thought this general wilderness setting would suit any generic use - fantasy, sci-fi or otherwise, so I put it here.

Nothing special here. Our gaming group decided to play a game of Battletech, since we haven't done so in almost a decade - so of course, I was commissioned to do the map. We wanted a cool, but functional BT map.

Basically a battle pit on a wilderness planet. The premise being three clan werewolves (a custom 75 ton mech of my design) and his two slow 100 ton artillery platforms (ERPPC, AC Autocannon, etc.) against three newbies each with 225 tons of mechs (each with variety of 3 mechs of their choice).

My werewolves are hiding in the heavy woods at the bottom of the pit. A cache of weapons tech is submerged in the lake and I'm guarding them. My support is slowly ambling to my aid, from the left side of this map.

The nine newbie mechs are coming in trios, one from the top and two from the right side of the map.

One of mechs is pretty dinged up, but I've taken out one mech from two of the trios so far.

We had to stop the game until next weekend, due to late arrivals, maybe 3 more hours to completion.

Anyway, I used a hex grid placed on top of a beveled terrain design for ease of use for BT play. I hate those terrains made out of actual hexes found in standard BT maps. We ruled if a hex was mostly one terrain or level than that was the entire hex, for movement issues.

Xara Xtreme created map in my old stacked terrain style!

Use it to your heart's content, I'm done with it. Enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitmech.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	8152  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Very very slick. Could you cross-post this on the fan art forum on cbt.com? I think they'd enjoy seeing it.

Also I think that multiplying the levels by 10 is an interesting touch. If you were to do another one, you could make the level text in-line with the contours giving it a real Topographic, tactical feel.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice job. For terrain like that though, I want a 'mech with jump jets
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Seems like Death From Above would definitely be the maneuver of choice.

I think there are some BT players that use MapTool as well so you may want to cross post over there as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    Nice job. For terrain like that though, I want a 'mech with jump jets
    Yes! My favorite variant - a Thunderbolt (60 or 65 tons) with Jump Jets...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post My Werewolf

The Werewolves sitting at the bottom of the pit, as I described in the first post, are a custom design - I've got both inner sphere and clan versions. Though I've got the clan version in memory...

75 Ton Mech:
    375 XL engine
    Inner structure: triple strength myomer
    Weapons: 6 medium pulse lasers (3 in each side torso), 1 small pulse laser in center torso, and a micro laser in the head. Two claws (5 tons and 5 crits) on arms.
    This weapons array is how the mech maintains the proper heat with any movement options. By firing the right set of weapons, depending on whether I walk, run, jump or stand still, my heat can be maintained perfectly.
    Jumpjets: 5

Movement (at heat): walk 5, run 8, jump 5

In the end the Werewolf, wants to get close enough after peppering your armor with pulse lasers, then his triple strength claw attacks (15 points of damage) can go into your internal structure.

I created this mech, by starting with the name first and deciding 75 ton, went from there, and its been my favorite mech ever since! I realize the mix of Clan and Inner Sphere technologies makes it weird, but oh well...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Bah! Half the fun of designing custom mechs is mixing the stuff up to see what you can come up with.

For one of my papers in Technical Report Writing in college I did a comparison of 3 BattleMechs, my Prof was speechless 'cause it was so out of the ordinary, but gave me an A- 'cause of two punctuation errors. He has a PhD in English and is a pulitzer prize winner - so a real stickler for that stuff.

Wip Another one...

I posted the map to the classicbattletech.com website forums, and somebody asked for another example of this kind of hex map, so I whipped this one up - you'll notice its the same moonbase as my map object in the Map Elements forum (that both I and Sagenlight used in our Nov. entries!)

The artificially flat areas on top and sides of the mountains are to accomodate mechs for gameplay.

The CBT guys went goo-goo over this map, though they liked them both!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascension-base.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	983.9 KB 
ID:	8158  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast