View Poll Results: Which computer application do you use most frequently for map-making?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Campaign Cartographer (and its add-ons)

23 46.94%
  • Corel Draw

4 8.16%
  • Dundjinni

4 8.16%
  • Dungeon Crafter

0 0%
  • DungeonForge

2 4.08%
  • Illustrator

1 2.04%
  • A 'Paint' program

2 4.08%
  • Photoshop

7 14.29%
  • Other

6 12.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Mapping Software

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats awesome stuff! I really dig the compass roses also...I'm a big fan of compass roses though, as if you couldnt' tell by the site template. Umm...you should make some of those symbols into png's for CC3!

I'm still on a journey to make a CC3 library of symbols, but it takes time, and thats so limited lately.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I probably will, but I'm still a bit of a heel dragger whan it comes to CC3. I will probably get it once all the known bugs are worked out...

Interesting side note (well, maybe not), I actually drew the celtic knots on paper then scanned and traced them in flash.

Yep I know about the "time" thing too.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by castlewalls
    Hiya Lorne! Thanks for the link! I voted for Corel ('natch)...
    -Jim
    Those are some way nice maps. You made them all in Corel?

Yeah, he did make them in Corel - Jim's got great talent, which is one reason why Darkfuries has retained him for maps & cover art.

Castlewalls is the King of Texture fills, also - if you ever need a texture, shoot him an e-mail. He's great to work with.

*sneaks in quietly and votes for using a paint program*

Hi.....behold the caveman.......still using PaintShop Pro 8 to draw my maps, basically since I would be the quintessental dingle-wit when it comes to mapping. Mostly since the maps I make more easily flow from a magnetic pen onto a digital canvas rather than to try making symbols to plug into one program, then another.

I tried Campaign Cartographer once......about 6 years ago. Got lost......went back to painting the maps.

Maybe hanging around here might net me some insight as to why I sat staring dumbfounded into my screen at all those controls in Campaign Cartographer and perhaps get on with making my campaign setting as I've been promising to do for.....oh, I don't know.....7 friggin'years now......for my gaming group.

By the way, thanks for inviting me, Arcana.

Yeh, If PS or PSP ever adds athe capability to use a symbol library and adds a fractal pen, my CC days are over...

Illustrator has the equivalent of a fractal pen...so the days are numbered, I think.

I pretty much only use CC2 for its symbols - the rest is done in PSP or Serif Drawplus (superb budget mix between a raster and vector package). You can't get the same rich textures in in CC2. CC needs brushes...badly, they are so incredibly useful when drawing maps.

Ravs

Actually, symbols are a snap to make in PSP 8.....but you might call them something else in PSP tools, though......picture tubes.

Tell me what a fractal pen is, and I bet I can find something reasonably close with PSP. I don't generally see eye to eye wih Photoshop. Too many convolutions that I cannot find my way through (methinks I sees a pattern, cap'n!).

Ah yeahh! I remember tubes. It's been an age since I messed around in PSP. Not sure if you can rotate or transform though... I might have to revisit! Actually, I think Flash has the symbol management system most like CC, only much easier to use. Maybe now that it's owned by Adobe, they'll incorporate it into CS.

I have Adobe illustrator too... haven't tromped around too much in there so far, still buried in Photoshop. I would be interested in how to achieve a fractal pen effect in it though. (The wavy line like tool in CC).

'Course now if PF would quit defending 30 year old CAD archiecture and listen to what the buying public wants, and actually producing it. they could really have a premium piece of software.... but that's just me.... I know, I know, the .png's.... but for the two or so years I've been in CC2-L I've never really seen folks clamoring over bitmaps much. It's usually the same newbie questions over and over about the same basics that really should be a lot more intuitive ("Why doesn't such-and-such work?). It's the interface thing again.... Streamline the danged interface!

*dives off soapbox and runs for cover*

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alain...I think the problem with Profantasy is that its not THEIR cad software...or am I wrong...does profantasy actually own FastCAD or are they just licensing it for development? If they'd bite the bullet and develop their own interface, your right, interface could be a lot easier.

I will say this though...if you're capable of mastering the CC2/3 interface, you're capable of mastering the 3D Studio or Maya interface...and I'd reccommend doing so.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast