View Poll Results: Which computer application do you use most frequently for map-making?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Campaign Cartographer (and its add-ons)

23 46.94%
  • Corel Draw

4 8.16%
  • Dundjinni

4 8.16%
  • Dungeon Crafter

0 0%
  • DungeonForge

2 4.08%
  • Illustrator

1 2.04%
  • A 'Paint' program

2 4.08%
  • Photoshop

7 14.29%
  • Other

6 12.24%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Mapping Software

As I understand it, they are licsenced to use the fast-cad engine, or maybe it is open-sourced? But yeah, a ground up approach might be something they want to think about.

Don't have 3D Studio, or maya, but am muddling through hexagon and bryce... I have had CC2 for a couple years now, but there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

I use CCPro (and CC3) for Campaign and City Scale Maps
    and I use Dundjinni for Detailed (1"=5' Scaled) Detailed Maps

A Note about DJ : It is a Java Platform Application to Make it Crossplatform so Mac and PC Users can Use it. It is a Memory Hog. Yes It does Bog down quite a bit. Still I won't give it up for anything to map detailed maps.

Just got CC3 Disc and am still awaiting the DD3 Disc so I have not tried it yet to make any detailed interior Maps
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Guild Applicant

Hi folks!
    I am pretty much one of those old time hand drawing cartographers. Sure, I could learn one of the various mapping programs, but I spend enough time in front of a computer. Sometimes it is nice to sit with pencils, pens, ink, and paper and draw a map. Sometimes making copies involves a light table, but that's half the fun.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nothing at all wrong with old fashioned! I liek those maps too! Post some samples if you got any scans! I'd love to see yer work in the gallery forums!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

No surprise I voted for Dundjinni of course LOL
    I do a lot of art work in PS too (art pieces for use in DJ) and I do have CC3. The UI of CC3 kept me from really starting to use it (yet).

Yes, DJ's ability to be cross-platform has the downside of being a memory hog. There are a few things you can do to make that better though.
    The Java problem is one of the things that will change with the new DJ version we are working on
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kepli
    No surprise I voted for Dundjinni of course LOL
    I do a lot of art work in PS too (art pieces for use in DJ) and I do have CC3. The UI of CC3 kept me from really starting to use it (yet).

Yes, DJ's ability to be cross-platform has the downside of being a memory hog. There are a few things you can do to make that better though.
    The Java problem is one of the things that will change with the new DJ version we are working on
    Sounds like you guys are going to be addressing a LOT of the reasons myself and many others avoided Dundjinni.

Although I must admit, I'm normally a multi-tool kinda guy...I usually like to have more than one type of a program...the main reason I stuck with CC is because of the investment I already had made into the line when DJ came out. Now though...I'm not as poor as I used to be.

I know what you mean ...
    I started with just DJ, after making maps in MsWord for years

Then I got Paint Shop Pro for my birthday, started using Bryce, Poser, the Gimp, Texture Maker, Photoshop, Project Doggwaffle and Vue. Tried some other progs too in between ...

Right now I use a combination of Vue, Poser and Photoshop to create objects that I use in DJ and Texture Maker and Photoshop to create textures.

Since I got CC3 for free, I don't mind not using it at the moment

I try to use only the money I make as webmaster for models and software.
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others

Blog Entries

I'm not making any money as a webmaster here yet...Google only pays out in blocks of $100...and I'm up to 20 bucks now I think hehehe. I'm hoping to get the site to at least pay for itself, which isn't much.

As for software...I use Photoshop, and 3d Studio Max 8 for ALL my graphics work (including the layout of this site and the creation of the textures and stuff in the wallpaper I based this site on) and CC3 exclusively for mapping until friday when I get dundjinni.

If you need any help with DJ, either post something here, or at the DJ site

I use CorelDraw, Illustrator, Photopaint, and a few others, but most of my work is done within Photoshop.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    =========================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more! Lots of maps. ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast