View Poll Results: Which computer application do you use most frequently for map-making?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Campaign Cartographer (and its add-ons)

23 46.94%
  • Corel Draw

4 8.16%
  • Dundjinni

4 8.16%
  • Dungeon Crafter

0 0%
  • DungeonForge

2 4.08%
  • Illustrator

1 2.04%
  • A 'Paint' program

2 4.08%
  • Photoshop

7 14.29%
  • Other

6 12.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Mapping Software

Post Preferred Mapping Software

Hi all,

I thought it might be informative for the CG community to have a poll tracking the types of mapping programs folks here use, for the purpose of getting a pulse on what's most popular with members and to gain some insight about those programs we might not be using.

Understanding that many of us probably use different programs for different purposes, let's just include our most frequently used program in the poll responses; uses for other applications could be described in replies in this thread.

For my part, my primary map utility is Campaign Cartographer; I often use Photoshop CS for 'after-effects,' and I've just begun working with Dundjinni.

Thanks for reading,

Lorne

Guild Applicant

Hiya Lorne! Thanks for the link! I voted for Corel ('natch)...
    -Jim

Great to see you here, CW.

I knew there would be at least one entry for Corel.

Lorne

Guild Applicant

BWAHAHAHAHA!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

BWAA *choke*.....urk...

HI,

I voted for CC3 since i've been working with the CC series for so long, but i keep getting that nagging feeling i could do much more with a combination of photoshop and illustrator. I've tried a number of times over there years to learn the adobe duo but never had enough time to get it. Hence i always fall back with CC.

NOw, with CC3 and all it s marvelous new features, the demarcation has lessen a bit but i will always be a frustrated adobe wanna be

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

So far I've actually done most of my mapping in Flash. I have CC2, but to be honest I've never worked with a more non-intuitive Windows app. That's not to say it's not the best in it's field when it comes to results. It is. But for me, I use all the tools in my box, and Flash has a much simpler and more intuitive toolbox. I made an entire set of tree symbols in just a couple hours...

I like CC2, (CC3 in the not too distant future), but I have just found the learning curve to be more intensive than I have the time for at present.

LOL Ok, now all the CC loyalists can beat me up

Nobody's going to beat you up. It's been my experience that most of the criticism directed at all CC products involves the less-than-user-friendly interface, and I think those criticisms are largely accurate. In some ways, I've found it easier to figure out Photoshop!

But I also agree with you about CC products having the best results. Some of the most vocal CC critics are fans of java-based drawing programs (like Dundjinni), who have described CC maps as 'cartoony' or 'primitive' while pointing out problems with the interface. I concur that earlier versions of CC lacked the ability to handle transparent .PNG files, but the new version seems to address that issue well.

I'd be interested in seeing some samples of your maps drawn in Flash - I don't know the first thing about the program, and I'd like to see its capabilities.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I second that...lets see some flash maps!

Plus, with flash you can animate them easily right?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne
    Some of the most vocal CC critics are fans of java-based drawing programs (like Dundjinni), who have described CC maps as 'cartoony' or 'primitive' while pointing out problems with the interface. .
    I tried the demo for Dunjnni. It seemed interesting, but it bogged my computer down to the point of practical uselessness. I have a fairly late model comp too.... Anybody else have problems with it that way?

As for the cartooniness of CC, I guess that's what sort of drew me to it. Call me crazy, but I kinda like it. Flash too is 100% vector too, so I guess that's what makes it lend itself well to comparison. 'Course the price is no comparison LOL!

But really, the biggest problem with CC IMHO is the interface. Commmand prompt driven proggies are so.... 80's DOS. My wife's uncle is an engineer, in fact has his own company. He continues to complain bitterly that CAD programs need to get moe with the times...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    I second that...lets see some flash maps!

Plus, with flash you can animate them easily right?
    Actually my Flash map project is an interactive map/menu for my website, but it's only partly finished. It's actually a fusion of bitmap backgrounds generated in CC2 and the dynamic portions done in flash. Heres a couple jpgs of my work:

Oh, and yes, you can animate everything in Flash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast