Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** December Challenge - The Siege ***

Post *** December Challenge - The Siege ***

(Unfortunately I haven't had the benefit of extensive CL peer review so there may be a few changes yet....but it should be enough to get you started.)

*** December Challenge ***

The Siege

This month's challenge is a blend of a CL ideas and the community's suggestions, namely a war map with a focus...

We want a war map depicting a siege. Think the siege of Rhodes, the siege of Gondor, one of the many sieges of Constantinople, or even the siege at the end of the first season of "Stargate: Atlantis".

Your map should depict a stronghold/fortress held by limited numbers under siege by a far superior force.

Make it tactical, make it artistic, make it from the perspective of either side....whatever you would like!

Entries should be in by no later than December 26th 2008.

Good Luck!!!

P.S. Please review the General Challenge Rules.
    Last edited by RobA; 12-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.

We discovered that there is a logistics problem with the making of a printable sized map for the challenge and Arcana is currently away on business so we can't rectify it soon enough. Because of that, the GP sponsoring of a printed map is going to have to be put off until a later challenge. So this month's challenge is just like previous challenges and won't include a physical prize, but you'll still get a compass . Sorry folks.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Actually that's something of a relief as a map that size would be ... tricky. I have a large scale battle coming up in my campaign so this challenge is ideal. Let battle commence!

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

Your map should depict a stronghold/fortress held by limited numbers under siege by a far superior force.
    So, just how open are we to interpretations of "Stronghold/fortress"?

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    would a caslteish fortress with a keep work?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I would think 5 people in a gas station holding off a horde of zombies would qualify if that's what your thinking.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post As open as you need...

How open is stronghold/fortress? As open as you need, if you view past challenges, except for the ones that had a very specific map to follow, most challenges are WIDE OPEN. As open as your creativity allows.

If you want to make your stronghold the bunker in "Lost" tv series because that's the way you want to go - then its OK.

I am seriously thinking about a Dwarven mine fortress under assault by Drow, and everything is underground.

Get as wild as you want, as long as you can justify what you selected as a stronghold, it should work fine for the challenge.

GP

PS: I thought it was going to require using "placeholders" for maps, had the challenge been about a printed map. (its not, I know...)
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Well, I had been thinking "Fortress Europe" or maybe even "Fortress Earth". "Fortress Sol" could be fun to do too.

should be interesting, this years challenge. Hope it doesnt take to long to make my entry.... its been sitting around in my head for the longest time, it will be good to get it out

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    or even the siege at the end of the first season of "Stargate: Atlantis".

that was a great episode, to bad that atlantis is gonna be ending sometime soon (aka, between now and a year from now )
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

ooooh, this should be fun!
    Something witty and pithy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast