Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: The Siege of Dreeston

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wip December Entry: The Siege of Dreeston

Well, it's time to do a map for my campaign. My players don't know it yet, but Dreeston is not long for the world. A horde will descend upon it and they will have to hold back the forces for long enough for the city to evacuate. That seems to fit the bill for this months challenge of a stronghold under siege from far superior forces. Here's the initial sketch:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dreeston Sketch.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	8175

THis is the basic layout of the defences before the horde arrives. Needless to say, not all of this will be standing by the time I am done.

looks like this will be an entry to keep an eye on, i like the sketch

just wondering, but whats with the lines that converge on a strange looking object, reminds me of a hill.....
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

The webbed lines that are darker are roads. They converge on a square that is a hub of trade and transport. There's a couple in the different districts of this large town/small city.

cool should look great when its done

looking at it again it seems like it might be like a city on a cliff.... which would look great

but thats only if im looking at the sketch right.... oh well, it looks completely different when your head is turned sideways to
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Absolutely. There is a cliff to the south that drops to the sea with a waterfall. There are mountains to the NE and NW. The city guards two passes, one to the east and one to the north. The northern pass leads to the ominously named giant's staircase.

The regional map for this area is here

The defences at the eastern extreme of the city limits are here.

Yep, those walls are pretty run down. Certainly no match for the army that comes marching out of the mountains.

Yessir, Looks pretty cool.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Ohhh... this should be fun to watch unfold...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Ohhh... this should be fun to watch unfold...
    I said the same thing to my love life

I certainly hope it will be a fun map to watch unfold. I'm still pinning down the town layout now - suggestions and ideas more than welcome of course. I've decided to keep the inner town on the west bank of the river. I'm not sure how this would work with water supplies but I think it is safer to have water supplies from wells rather than have a river that can be polluted by invaders.

I'm also wondering how best to protect against people assaulting the town from over the NW mountain. Currently I'm working on the basis that it is too steep to do, but that seems a little flimsy. Answers on a postcard greatly appreciated.

I think it is actually easier to poison a well than pollute a river. Especially a fast moving river. I believe there are plenty of historical stories of a castle's well getting poisoned by tossing infected meat/rodents/etc. into it. I guess if the invaders down have access to the wells or water table those would be safe.

You can add fell-beasts or other monsters that inhabit the mountain, environmental conditions, or just the logistics of dragging an invasion force over it. If whatever passes are there, are easily defended (a la the movie 300) that would discourage a large invasion as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast