Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars Freighter Map

Sorry Khimbar, I don't use Gimp, but hopefully a Gimp user will be around shortly to point you in the right direction.

Wip

I appreciate the comments. As for the escape pods - yes, they are halfway across the ship from the cockpit. Fortunately for me, our crew doesn't have any problem with that. However, I'll keep that advise in mind for when I draw up my next starship - Keep escape pods in a easily accessible location.

Here's what I've got so far. I put a new wood floor in - one that doesn't repeat infinitely. I've added furniture and stuff to each of the rooms to better designate their purpose including some cargo to the cargo bays. Also, since we're a pirate ship (in the Star Wars Universe) I added some flags. We can put a marker on which flag we're flying at the moment so we don't "forget" (as if the GM would let us).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audacious Albatross 8.jpg 
Views:	1816 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	8729
    Just a note - we have two environmentally controlled cargo areas (just above the main cargo bay). I arbitrarily selected one to be on hot and one to be on cool, but both do hot and cold. Any ideas on how to better portray a heated area and a frosted area?

Guild Journeyer

I would suggest an airlock on your environmentally controlled bays, and then put a unit beside them with a "Temperature Gage" basically a Red/Blue gradient that you can then place a marker on to say what you currently have the bay at. Basically a box 2 tiles tall and 1 tile long, flush up against the wall by the airlock door.

Also there appears to be a random space behind those bays that isn't hidden, but is too narrow to use for anything. Is that suppose to be there?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I posted something that might work for the glow around the recessed cargo lift.

I used a rectangle select the size of the lift (inside the warning band) , added a new layer and filled selected area with black. Invert select and filled with white. Inverted selection again and saved selection to channel. Removed selection and then Gaussian blur (100 in example) and applied inverted mask to layer. Then with color>levels adjusted the dark to match the background.

at least that is what I think I did I forgot to save the gimp file after saving the attachment jpg.

:edit: you might want to look through this link for a tutorial on layer masks by JfrazierJR http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3143
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audacious Albatross 8a.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	8751  
    Last edited by Korash; 12-28-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added a link
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

The WotC 3.5 edition Starships of the Galaxy book shows a large arrow on the ramp and the letter "R" indicating which way it opens (and also that it is indeed a ramp).

Would that look too unrealistic?

By the way, it looks great so far.
    Last edited by number7; 01-02-2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Added stuff.

Guild Journeyer

Oh, something else you can do to increase the contrast between the floor and the lift is to re-center the tiles on the lift area, scale them to fit only whole tiles in the area. This way it looks more like there are two pieces of material there, and not just paint on the floor.

Blog Entries

Just stole the image at the top...

I am a bit light on scifi tokens
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-02-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Map

Thanks for all the critiques and recommendations. I've had some time to work on the ship this week and feel good about what is done. Therefore, here is the final product:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audacious Albatross 9.jpg 
Views:	1138 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	8867

Since I am relatively new to these forums, I don't know what is appropriate for posting finalized maps. Should I start a new thread in the Finished Maps forum with the final map and a detailed description? Or is this post enough for folks to easily find a finished starship map?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12