Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Freighter Map

Wip Star Wars Freighter Map

I am working on a map of a ship in our Star Wars RPG campaign. It is a Barloz-class freighter (from the Stock Freighters sourcebook by West End Games) which our group has customized to our campaign. Using Gimp, I traced the outline of the ship and the general arrangement (as found in the sourcebook). Here is what the "stock" ship looks like (from the sourcebook):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barloz Freighter.jpg 
Views:	4168 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	8184

Here is what I have currently:

Name:	Audacious Albatross 3.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	323.2 KB 
ID:	8183
    Our group splurged on hardwood flooring for the crew's section. [The non-wooded crew area is the medical bay.] We also added some "hidden" cargo holds in the cargo bay and a brig on the side of the cargo bay.

I am planning on adding the "random stuff" to the crew section and cargo section as I go along. Before I get in to adding that stuff (some of which are present around the cockpit), I wanted to get some comments and criticism on the basic map. Specifically, how should I handle the ramps and cargo lifts (shown in dashed lines and with arrows on the WEG arrangement)?

Also, I am having difficulty with the escape pods. I found this image online of an escape pod for a C-3PO action figure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sw04ultrac-3popodfr.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	8187
    I am fairly new to Gimp (what you see above is my first full project) - what would be the best way to go about making an escape pod object so that I can use it on future projects? It doesn't have to look exactly like the picture, but close enough that folks will know what it is.

I'd use your image or the diagram here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Escape_pod

and scale it down, then use the bezier tool to draw paths around the key shapes. Then use solid fills, textures, and gradients to colour it in.

Save it as a transparent png then you can just bring it in as objects like the others in your map (the chairs, etc.)

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Starships are always in danger of acquiring a leak and thus endangering the crew. IMO the ship could use a really good and solid wall between the cargo hold and the crew quarters. That way you could intentionally open the cargo hatch to get rid of some non-robot invaders or to take out a fire. A single-wall doesnt fulfill that requirement well enough IMO. Also: Is there a hatch so your crew can get outside for some repairs in space?
    If you cant say what youre meaning,
    you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Software used: mostly Photoshop, but icons may come from CC3.

Also, why have the crew go though half the ship and though the cargo bay to get to the escape pods. I love ship plans, but it seems that the art work in most cases dictates the plans and not the relative reality of the situation.

I say, have fun you are doing the work anyways make it better, change the scale, fudge it a little. I’m a Traveller player and I live for the 20% fudge factor in making ship. Most of the time the “factory” or stock ships straight from the rule book violate the standard rules for construction, and Star Wars is even more forgiving.

Wip

Thank you all for the suggestions. Here is a brief update shot with the escape pods, an airlock, and a thicker wall between the crew and cargo areas. We've been playing with this layout for a few months now, so I would have difficulty with the other gamers if I started moving rooms or escape pod locations.

Name:	Audacious Albatross 7a.jpg 
Views:	2411 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	8672
    Since we use Wizards of the Coast (WotC) maps sometimes, I have put their door symbol (the blueish rounded rectangle) in all the doorways. [That keeps the symbols consistent from map to map.] Some of them are lighter, which depict hidden doors or not-often-used doors. The original layout (from West End Games, see original post) used a black-to-white gradient for the ramps. I felt that a black-to-transparent gradient worked better for this drawing.

I cannot think of how to better distinguish the cargo lift (in the center of the cargo bay). Currently I have a hazard strip around it. But that doesn't make that area look like it is a cargo lift, just like an area with a hazard strip around it. Any additional criticisms or comments are welcome.

Put a crate on it, maybe?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Maybe a drop shadow to make it stand a little more proud? Or better yet, an inner glow so it looks recessed. Also I'd suggest redoing the brown texture at the top of the ship, the pattern repeats horribly. If you're after wooden flooring there are tonnes of hi res textures on the web you could use instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Maybe a drop shadow to make it stand a little more proud? Or better yet, an inner glow so it looks recessed.
    I tried a drop shadow and it only works on one corner of the lift. I'm not familiar with the inner glow technique. The recessed look would be good for my purposes. Any Gimp tutorials that would help step me through it?

Guild Journeyer

Random little point here. Maybe it is just me, but wouldn't you sleep better knowing you don't have to run half way across the ship to get to an escape pod if someone was trying to blow you out of space?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast