Thread: December Entry: The Siege of Hilrod Keep

Wip December Entry: The Siege of Hilrod Keep

OKay I thought I would get my entry out there, since I finally got the upper part of my city that is being sieged done....

Basically Hilrod is a city on a hill (with a keep at the very top) that is being attacked/sieged. Sorry that the backstory is short, but Im tired and have to get off in a minute

So far i have the upper part of the city done, but i scaled down the unused space as to save file space for later. Still have to add:

Lower city area
    Surrounding city area
    Enemies
    Mayhem

edit: oops, forgot drop shadows for some buildings.... oh well, thats a simple fix

So yea hope you like it so far

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HilrodKeep.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	8210  
    Last edited by bryguy; 12-05-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Uhmmm.Nyce start!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

thanks paulo

added the lower city area now, need to get the city surroundings and the enemy armies/mahem

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HilrodKeep.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	8222  
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

I love your hill and the walls.
    One suggestion: put the houses closes together. Have them share walls and stuff. Walls are expensive...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

Personally I would suggest shrinking down the area your city covers, and really packing things in there. Commons in walled cities were usually rather jammed up together, as if a city was in a location that made a wall useful, then people are going to want to live inside fortified walls. If you look at old sections of walled cities in the UK, then you see many buildings that while not sharing always walls, they rarely have more small alley ways between them, something one person could walk down, sometimes two abreast. Often not much in the way of a back yard, more of a larger alley way between opposing street fronts, and sometimes you see larger buildings going between two streets.

The walls are well done, but what is inside them looks too random and disordered for a normal city. Now, if you wanted to go for something that had the buildings actually built over each other as needed, and the 'streets' were more of hallways through buildings, and connections were highly random, designed to confused any attackers and to keep the rain off citizen's heads while they went about their daily business, then get making with the randomness!

@--> Gandwarf

sure, ill do that, ill probably shrink the amount of space inside the walls by bringing the walls in

@--> Talroth

sure ill do that.

And it does look random, doesnt it? thats because it is lol. I just kept adding buildings here and there cause i had to finish it up quick, but i tried to keep the market like buildings in the marketplaces. Oh well, i might try and make it more orderly or whatever