Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December 2008 Entry: Siege - The Defense of Long Fallen Urak

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Info December 2008 Entry: Siege - The Defense of Long Fallen Urak

OK, I'm finally going to get away from my Desert Planet of Khuutath. This is a take on a idea I had for my homebrew campaign setting.

"Long ago, the city of Urak was renowned as a center of great learning. Museums, bard colleges, mage schools and other institutes of higher learning were located throughout the city.

The citizens of Urak became arrogant, thought themselves better that the rest of the world. They thought the city ultimately safe due to the large population of powerful mages, clerics , etc. They were confident that should any force threaten the city, the powerful spell-casters resident in the city would be more than adequate to defend it.

In 2568 BG (Before Gods-Fall) a horde of humanoids swept down out of the nearby Stormfang mountains and devastated the city. The horde was so huge and attacked with such speed and savagery that the city was overrun very quickly.

Striving to save the vast amounts of magical artifacts and accumulated knowledge it was decided to move what could not be easily transported to the vast vaults below the Great Library of Ard. Where they would be magically sealed away to be retrieved at a later date.

Defense of the vaults was turned over to a select group of guardians who successfully fulfilled there obligation for many generations. Membership in this group became a family tradition passed down through the following years.

Then the horror of Gods Fall happened, and everything changed. Knowledge of this vast store of magic was lost to all but a few who maintained their guardianship over the Library and its vaults.

In 547 AG (After God's Fall) a priest of the Tyrant God Vhokuun discovered the whereabouts of the vaults, and in time gathered a powerful force determined to invade the ruins of Urak and plunder the vaults.

One of the few remaining guardians discovered information regarding this and did whatever they could to rally forces to defend the Library and the contents of the vault.
    "

The map concentrates upon the final defense of the Library and its surroundings. Here is a preview of that area.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urak Ruins.png 
Views:	328 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	8227  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 12-06-2008 at 11:06 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Can a CL please fix the title of the thread?
    It looks like I "fat fingered it".

Thanks...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Can a CL please fix the title of the thread?
    It looks like I "fat fingered it".

Thanks...
    Updated for ya.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    OK, I'm finally going to get away from my Desert Planet of Khuutath.
    BUUUUUHHH!!

Heh but its a promising start SG

Some areas, especially those ruins are looking allready great, one thing that doesnt blend is the river though. But I guess the river aint finished yet
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    BUUUUUHHH!!

Heh but its a promising start SG

Some areas, especially those ruins are looking allready great, one thing that doesnt blend is the river though. But I guess the river aint finished yet
    @Sagenlicht - Thanks for the comments... Actually I thought the river was OK, but now after reading your post, and taking a second look I agree, it's to "bright" and "uni-colored". I always seem to struggle with the rivers.

@JFJr - Thanks for fixing my typo.

Info

OK, here are some of the 'counters' I'm planning on using on the map. They of course will be much smaller and the text will be difficult (at best) to read. But I'm happy with them so far.

The first is the leader of the 'good guys', the second is one of the unit counters of the 'bad guys'.

Please feel free to leave comments ,etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I love the Illuvitar symbol. That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I love the Illuvitar symbol. That's great!
    Thanks, it was royalty free clipart I found that I added some color to, I like it better than the sysmbol I use in my home-brew setting and the CWBP - have to swap them out one of these days.

I think I saved it as a .PSD if you're interested, I can post it.
    Last edited by Steel General; 12-10-2008 at 06:18 PM.

I enjoyed the back history. The map and the symbols look great. Can't wait to see more.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You are aware that the Phoenix is a symbol for the Illuminati, right? Co-inkey dink? Rock on man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast