Thread: Reference Material for Cthulhu by Gaslight Players

Post Reference Material for Cthulhu by Gaslight Players

It was a friends 40th Birthday party, which was held in a restaurant at the Royal Victoria Patriotic Building in Wandsworth, which I had never heard of. Stunning neo-gothic architecture like only the Victorians can do. It was built as an orphanage for servicemen in the mid 1800s it went onto become a hospital in both world wars and then fell derelict until it was bought and turned into flats, a restaurant and a drama school. Full history here.Not cheap to live there though, a two bedroom flat costs £500,000..

It makes a perfect asylum for Cthulhu purposes though and it's a stunning building. I ran around it taking as many pictures as I could (with my little pentax pocket camera) before I lost the light and then stitched them into panoramas when I got home. There was also a handy little map at the entrance. Pics below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text comp.jpeg 
Views:	207 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	8235  

NICE!! Always love stuff like this that can really add a lot to an RPG's atmosphere.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a sweet building, I love Victorian architecture.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very nice! Thanks for the pic and the link. I can see both of them becoming useful should I ever get around to running a Cthulhu by Gaslight or maybe even a Doctor Who (set in Victorian England) RPG adventure.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Here's the frontage with a sepia/vignette/filmgrain effect to make it look older...may be good for a handout? Also one with a sketchy/halftone effect to put into your adventure as an illustration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sepiafilmgrain.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	8244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halftone.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	615.9 KB 
ID:	8245  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool pics...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo, something about those pics makes me want to add creepy trees and some gravestones and fog...Temple of Elemental Evil like. Nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this goes well with the kirkbride building thread I posted in the ref material forum.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin