Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing Cave designs. How is this for an overhead cave?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Testing Cave designs. Update!! New Ideas!

Hey guys,

Im working out some kinks in cave designs.

This is a simple setup I have trying to give the cave some form.

What im looking for;
    I want a definite depiction that its a cave WITH walls. Also, I want the walls to have a little bit of shape at least too.

I dont like the whole battlemap thing with all the squares or hexes.

Im going for lots of detail, this style or an evolution of it being the base of it all, to be added to later.

I am aware it doesnt have jaggy walls or anything im going for shapliness first.

So on that note what do you think of this and do you have any other techniques I can use to get more wall.

Im imagining it being able to see ALL the walls with the floor in the distance a little. Like a perspective drawing of the cave.. Does anyone know how to do this in gimp?

I would liek to eliminate as many shadows as i can at this stage and just have the walls and thier detail, this way when I add torchlight later It will generate its own shadows then, or paint them on as i want. ya know?

Thanks
    Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cavetest.png 
Views:	1645 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	8238  
    Last edited by Nickadimos; 12-09-2008 at 03:55 AM.

Question

Here is another one that im trying out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavetest2.png 
Views:	7277 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	8241  

Honestly.. It looks good as far as I can tell. As a personal preference, i think the walls are very good and the shadow is just right. I like the second style a little bit more, though you could try toning the red down just a little bit more to a more even brown.

I don't know how this would look, but what if you put some type of pattern over the top of the rock. Maybe 20-100 pixels in (depending), so that the gaps between the tunnels will have something else to fill them.

Don't know if that makes sense to you

Thanks for the advice I like the second one too. Those are just the colors I was working with at this point.

Im working on a more refined version now that im going to put into a macro.

Thanks!

Terry

p.s. there doesnt seem to be any way to show depth without the shadows.. been working with a few gradient combos to make a fake bump map to shade it the way i want without any prominent shadows.. that way i can still add my stronger shadows later.

Blog Entries

Nick those tiles are both really cool. We had a challenge in August for something like this. Check them all out and you can see my version too which went along similar lines.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2659
    post #39 is where it goes into dungeon. RobA's dungeon script is similar too in that same month.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nick, I've done a couple of maps that had to show depth with something more interesting than shadows. The Living Airship maps here have a great big shaft in them that I did some forced perspective on. I'm not sure how to go about creating something like this in a procedural fashion in Gimp, but maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Redrobes,

Thank you very much, your definitly leading me in the right direction. I think Torstan hit it on the nose! BTW those are WONDERFUL tiles!

Torstan,

Essentially, thats exactly what im going for, picture number 3, 4, 5!!!

It looks like you hand drew that in..

But man wouldnt that look great for a cave or dungeonmap.. ohh im drooling.. thats the style im going for..

We may need to draw on the power of robA to make that procedural..

I wish we had more options on those gradient fills, not just the angular, dimpled or spherical.

Ill post some tonight see if i can get it.

Thanks thanks!

Terry
    Last edited by Nickadimos; 12-09-2008 at 12:59 AM.

Nickadimos-

Are you trying for something other than a standard "soft bevel" effect? (I believe this is what Dundjinni uses).

Here is my gimp version using the layer effects python script:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave.png 
Views:	1682 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	8257

-Rob A>

Yes essentially Rob, but without the shadows from the azimuth.

And a gradient of sorts from the floor to the ceiling. Trying to show some more depth still.

Anything like Torstans with the actual cave walls?
    Last edited by Nickadimos; 12-08-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast