Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello There

Post Hello There

I'm Melissah (you don't say! ). I'm 24, I live in Australia, I have a puppy named Chelsea and I don't know anything about map-making. I recently grabbed a copy of CC3 and, while I love the ability to create a rather nice-looking map in a short amount of time, when I decided to create a world for a new project, I found myself picking up an HB pencil, a good quality eraser and a sketch book that happened to by laying around.

With no background in art--unless you count a picture of a pregnant fairy that I always used to draw on rainy school days--I'm expecting my potential masterpiece to be a big fat flop. I'm really just here to reap the rewards of a community filled with so many talented people.

Oh, and if you're a girl, feel free to contact me. It's always nice to meet other ladies who are interested in the geekier things in life.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard Melissah!

I hereby banish your 'Blue Pip O'Anonimity' *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hi Melisah, We have a few Aussies marked on the members map (link in sig below) which you might like to add to. Also on my sig is a keyword index list of threads. Look for CC3 and theres loads of stuff for that inclusing tutorials. Sometimes its hard to know whether members are girls or not based on the member handle. Our most nerdy member (after some investigation into what computer set ups we all used) turned out to be Anna doing Greyhawk maps so look up that on the list too and see her beautiful maps.

Hi Melissah,

welcome aboard

While CC3 is nice for sure (or at least I guess so as I dont have it ) if you are enjoying pencil drawing you maybe should consider trying out using something like GIMP or even better Inkscape and a tablet instead of a mouse. You can find some nice hand drawn maps on this board, e.g. one done by RobA: found here

Both, GIMP and Inkscape are free, so you can simply download them and give it a try.

You'll find them here:

GIMP for Windows
    Inkscape

Now if you can use CC for handdrawn maps feel free to shoot me
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 12-08-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added links to GIMP and Inkscape
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Thanks guys.

Steel General: Thank you for, er, bonking my blue anonymity dot?

Redrobes: Nice to hear that there are a few Aussies around and that there is at least one girl around!

EDIT:

Sagenlicht: Thanks for linking me to RobA's gorgeous map and suggesting Inkscape. I've already got my hands on GIMP. I'm a Photoshop user, but decided to go for the free version. There's a learning curve, but it seems really powerful. I'll definitely be checking out his tutorial!
    Last edited by melissah; 12-08-2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: See above

Melissah-

Since SG didn't seem to be able to give you rep, and you said nice things about my map, I have given you some reputation on his behalf.

Hope you enjoy it here... lots of friendly folk.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I guess my 'rep cudgel' doesn't quite give enough to get them above 0 rep, but at least it gets rid of the blue pip!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there are no girls on the internet...but I'll rep you anyways

Welcome aboard Don't mind me
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Welcome aboard!

Welcome Melissa.

Any questions of CC3 feel free to send out a Shout, I am the sorta CC3 expert here
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast